Chapter Twenty-Eight

The flames of the fireplace began to light the room as Cassie wake on satin sheets. She was wrapped in the warmth of the blanket as she looked to the empty side of her.

Her heart dropped at the mistake she had made; the thoughts of Lucifer came rushing into her mind.

Cassie squeezed her eyes shut as she buried her head under the pillow, the thoughts of who he was, the thoughts of what they had done, the thoughts of the way he cared for her, the thoughts of the garden he showed her, the thoughts of the words he spoke to her.

Cassie understood where she was.

"Cassie?" She heard his voice.

She kept the pillows over her.

Lucifer began to carefully peel away the pillows from her face, he brushed her hair away from her face. He leaned down and kissed her cheek.

She carefully turned to face him "Why are you back?"

"Because you said you needed me."

"But I don't."

"You must've, I only came because you asked."

Cassie studied Lucifer's face, the way his red eyes gazed at her. The way his black hair was slicked back. The way he looked fresh faced.

The crackling of the fireplace filled their silence as Lucifer let her take in his face.

"I've been having these dreams." Cassie stared into his red eyes "About a young girl. The first one, she was a baby and needed me to find her. It was fine and sweet" She smiled as she remembered "Than this darkness came around." Fear ran around her eyes "Then I dreamed that the darkness was suffocating me, this voice kept telling me that I was cruel, and I was the devil's pawn."

Lucifer listened.

Cassie watched as Lucifer's red eyes soften, she watched as something in his eyes told her that he already knew something she didn't.

"You'll be fine, Cassie." Lucifer admitted, it wasn't quite the truth nor was it a lie, but he knew he wanted to find out the truth.

"It claimed I was carrying the devil's spawn."

It was as if flames flickered in Lucifer's eyes when she spoke those words.

"I'm not." Cassie spoke "You're the devil. It's impossible."

Lucifer sensed something, something he was afraid to speak and something she was afraid to admit. Neither wanted to be the first to say it.

"Stay down here, Cassie. I can protect you here."

Cassie shook her head "I can't."

"You can."

Cassie chewed down on her lower lip "But I can't Lucifer. I need to get back home. I need to get back to my mother, back to my friend. Back to the life that I have."

Lucifer wanted to beg for Cassie to stay, he knew he couldn't force her. He knew she had the choice on staying or going, he knew that.

She wrapped her arms around him, he lost himself in her warm embrace as he wrapped his arms around her.