Chapter Thirty-two

Cassie and Michael were instantly re-smitten with each other as they prepared for the baby girl's upcoming arrival.

Michael was by Cassie's side every waking moment; he only left her side when she begged him to go home and not let Olita worry.

The back of Michael's car already had a baby seat installed with a little pink bear clipped into the seat with a pink blanket over the lower half of the teddy.

Toni hadn't allowed a strange man to enter her bed since the day she found out about her daughter's pregnancy, she wanted to be there for her daughter as much as she could.

"MUM!" Cassie called out from the bathroom as she panicked, she looked up at the bathroom door "MUM!"

Toni ran into the bathroom; she instantly knew by the look on Cassie's face and the wet puddle around Cassie's feet. "Just breath, Cassandra. Just breath."

"I can't do this." Cassie began to cry.

"Sweetie, you can. Look at me." Toni reached out her hand.

Cassie placed her hand in her mother's.

"You can do this" She looked her daughter in the eye "Trust me" 

Toni helped Cassie out of the car, neither had noticed Michael rushing towards her nor his family running behind him

Michael held onto Cassie's free hand as she walked in the middle of him and Toni.

Olita, David and Catherina rushed behind.

Even though David and Catherina knew the truth, they still wanted to be there for Cassie. They knew it wasn't her fault nor were they happy about the arrangement but at least they could see Michael making them proud.

No one was forcing Michael to be by Cassie's side nor raise another man's baby.

"Mum." Cassie softly spoke.

"I'm right here, sweetie."

Cassie looked up at her mum, it was almost as if Toni could read her daughter's mind.

"Michael, do you mind if I go in instead of you?"

Michael shifted his attention to Cassie for a moment, he shook his head. Maybe Toni being Cassie's birth partner was a smart idea. Michael knew stepping up to play the father role at eighteen was one thing but to watch his girlfriend give birth to another man's baby, it wasn't something he thought he could do.

Michael already knew seeing the baby girl would raise confliction inside of him, he already knew he wouldn't be sure if he could love the little girl as if she was his own; he didn't even have his own yet, this baby would be the test run for him. This complicated love he has for Cassie would forever be overshadowed by the baby that wasn't his.

Michael stood in the waiting room as he watched Toni and Cassie disappear into a hospital room.

Olita slide her hand into her grandson's hand.

David and Catherina stood close by to their son, David placed his hand on Michael's shoulder.

The four of them waited.