✧𝐕𝐈𝐈 (truth)

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 𝐑𝐨𝐛𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐬 *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

-

The room was quiet. We were both standing still. He remained silent. I stayed silent too, only because my mind was thinking of what to say next. We both stood quietly still. It was kind of awkward actually.

The only thing in the room that appeared to be alive was his cigarette. The way the smoke danced over him. The light emitting from the end of his cigarette made his facial features look more prominent in the darkness of the room.

He slowly inhaled and quickly exhaled the smoke out of his mouth. If only his words slipped out that easily.

"Niccolò, please. You're gonna kill me, and you're not even gonna need to use that gun of yours." I sat down next to him.

"You seem upset, sometimes even annoyed by me.  It's like you don't even want me to be with you. So why did you agree to this? Why did you buy me? At least help me understand that." The room was quiet once again.

His pretty eyes were set on the city lights that twinkled in front of him. He took another puff off his cigarette, his bright eyes darkening as they finally made their way towards mine.

"You wanna know the truth?" He finally spoke.

I nodded.

"No. You don't." He spoke softly.

"But I do."

"Only if you say a pretty 'please'. "
He joked.

I hesitated. But whispered a very
soft "please."

"Hm." He chuckled. "The truth is that I kill people Dani. It's part of my job to do so. But I won't lie to you and say that I don't enjoy every second of it." He said, heartlessly. His eyes lit up as his lips wickedly twisted into a smile.

My heart sunk to the bottom of my chest when I heard those words come out of his mouth, like they were nothing. Like killing was nothing. it was obvious he was used to pulling a trigger with the intent to end with someone's life. But hearing him admit that he did it constantly made my
insides twist.

"I was ten years old when my father decided it was time for me to join the family business. He had been part of an organized crime gang his whole life. I spent my entire childhood running along with him, and my mother. He tried to become part of something bigger, he wanted to make a name for himself. But things never went as he expected. One day we were living in a three story mansion and the next we were hiding in a 2 star motel in the middle of nowhere. I remember hiding in a closet with my mother waiting to hear gunshots or police sirens to be heard any minute. I was only a kid, but I knew she was afraid. I knew I had to protect her. But despite the awful life my father had given us. She still trusted him. She trusted him too much. So much so that her blindness led her to her own death."

Niccolò's voice got deeper as he spoke. I've had never heard him talk for as long as he did now. He wasn't being smug or messing around like he usually did, but he was somehow mature? I could tell he was hurt, his breathing got faster and faster as he spoke.

He stood up, by the way his hands moved I could tell he was frustrated. "He told us we would be safe. He said they wouldn't find us. He told me to take a machine gun and stand by the door. He told me not to move regardless of what happened. I heard someone trying to break in and I ran into the bedroom where my mother was, but I was too late. He was too late. Someone had already gotten to her. When my father arrived I was aiming my gun at him. I was gonna shoot him. I was gonna kill my father. I pointed my gun at his head and placed my finger on the trigger. But I could tell by the look in his eyes that he was already dead inside. So I left him there. I left him alone with his own conscience and never returned. I was fourteen when the news broadcast said they finally captured Italy's most wanted criminal. And he died by the time I was able to achieve more than he ever could. He died and left me an orphan, and while he left me a couple of his million dollars in the bank he still left me to take care of his debt and business." He put out his cigarette and sat back down on the couch.