3 - Yokohama Gangster Paradise (Part 1)

"Hmm?" You looked up, having felt someone staring at you.

"Oh! Apologies!" The lady panicked, waving her hands about. "You're just very pretty!"

"Oh, thank you," you smiled. "Well, this is my stop. Bye!"

"I get off here as well, which direction are you walking in?" She asked, falling into step with you.

"Eastwards, near the port," you hummed, pointing in the direction you were walking in.

"That's the direction of the Armed Detective Agency, isn't it?" The lady checked. "I have a meeting with a detective there in a few minutes, actually."

"Well, I coincidentally work there," you snorted.

She was a slender, blond haired woman, with her hair cropped to frame her face. The two of you had similar styles, with her wearing a simple black suit, while you wore a dress shirt and trousers, combined with a beige sweater vest. She was clearly determined, with solid focus, that much you could gather from her steely eyes.

"I'm back!" You called as you opened the door to the agency.

"L/N-San!" Atsushi greeted.

"Did you pass, kid?" You grinned, ruffling his hair as you walked by. "Tanizaki, there's a client for you!"

"Coming!" The ginger called from the kitchenette.

"Miss, please sit here, an employee will be with you in a second," you smiled, leading her to a couch.

With that, you trudged off to put your things at your desk, where Dazai was sat.

"Get up," you mumbled, leaning down to whisper the details in his ear.

"You think?" He asked, eyes wide.

"Convinced of it," you nodded, lips pursed.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, ma'am," Tanizaki smiled as he returned, holding a clipboard with the usual interrogation form. "So... you wanted us to investigate something? What sort of-"

Before he could continue, Dazai had grabbed the lady's hands as he got down on one knee, making it seem like a proposal.

"You are stunning," he breathed out. "Such fleeting glory, like the petals of a water lily... and such touching sweetness! How would you like to join me in a lovers' suicide-"

"Behave!" Kunikida scolded, slapping him at the back of his head.

"Wha- huh?!" The lady sputtered, waving her hands in a panic.

"I'm sorry, forget about him," Kunikida apologised, dragging him away and passing him to you.

You staggered at the sudden weight added, and stumbled as you attempted to support both of you. Annoyingly, Dazai made no attempt to stand up, instead choosing to look up at you with a dazed expression on his face.

"So, how can we help?" Tanizaki asked, pinching the bridge of his nose due to your antics. 

"I am calling upon you, because behind our company's building," the lady began, setting her mug of tea down, "some people of low character are hanging about."

"Low character you say?" Tanizaki hummed. "How so?"

"I'm not entirely sure, but they dress in rags, skulk about in the shadows and speak a foreign tongue with which I am unfamiliar," she explained.

"Smugglers, I would assume," Kunikida mused. "No matter how much the military cracks down, they swarm like wharf roaches. They're part of any port city."

"Indeed. And if I had some evidence that they are breaking the law, I could have brought it to the police," she lamented. "Thus, my visit today."

"So... a stakeout and evidence run, then?" Kunikida thought aloud.

"Have the kid handle it," you suggested. 

"H-huh?" Atsushi gaped. "Me?"

"Just stand watch, that's all we need," you explained. "And smugglers may be outlaws, but they're mostly harmless. Provoke them and they scurry like mice!"

"Good choice for a first case, L/N-San," Kunikida nodded. "Tanizaki, you go with him."

"If Onii-Sama is joining, then so will I!" Naomi insisted.

With that, the staff dispersed, each working on their own cases.

"Listen, lad," Kunikida sighed, trudging up to Atsushi. "I have at least a small shred of sympathy for your short, unhappy life. So.."

"Man he looks ugly in that picture," you snorted, looking over his shoulder.

"This isn't a beauty contest, L/N-San, I'm warning the boy about a serious threat!" Kunikida hissed. "If you want even a small chance of surviving in this city, don't run into this person. If you do, flee."

"Who is this-?" Atsushi asked.

"The mafia!" Dazai trilled, sneaking up behind Atsushi. "There's no other name applicable."

"He's one of the Port Mafia's Attack Dogs, prowling around the harbours," Kunikida explained. "His name's Akutagawa. The mafia itself is a dangerous group - a shady organisation in the underbelly of dark society. But this man? Not even our agency can handle him."

"Why is he... dangerous?" Atsushi asked.

"Because he's a skill user," you sighed. "A skill geared for murder and his cruelty with it sends even the bravest of military police officers running."

"I know my own skills, and even I wouldn't try fighting him," Kunikida mumbled, lips pursed.

"Just try not to die, got it?" You instructed. "And trust your instinct for the love of God."

With that, the three of you sent Atsushi and the Tanizaki siblings off before returning to your posts.

"N/N-chan, do you want to listen to this lovely song?" Dazai offered, handing you his set of headphones.

"I'm good, my eyes are already terrible, I need at least one sense I can rely on," you mumbled, gently pushing his hand back.

"Suit yourself," he shrugged, before collapsing onto the couch and humming along to a song about suicide.

"Get out of the way," Kunikida grit out after a while, trying to get past the couch to your desk, only to find Dazai's long limbs taking up most of the aisle space. "I swear why did we ever hire you.... this is not ideal to me at all."

When Dazai ignored him, Kunikida snatched the headphones, scolding him about slacking off. Of course, unbeknownst to Kunikida, Dazai was working, he was just unable to tell that to anyone other than you for the timebeing. He pouted and took back his headphones, claiming to await a divine revelation.

"Kunikida-kun, could you just check over this report?" You requested, handing him a lengthy stack of papers that should keep him busy long enough. "I have a strong feeling I'm missing something, but I don't know what!"

That was a lie.

You never missed out on things, a skill you'd retained from your previous job as well.

But Kunikida didn't need to know that, you just needed him away from Dazai for the timebeing, and busy enough to not notice your inevitable absence.

He groaned but took the papers nonetheless, before scolding Dazai about returning to work. But it was to no avail.

For the two of you had already left.

A/N: this is *the* shortest chapter so far purely bc this manga chapter was also extremely short

but oh well, next chapter we get to see some action so yay for that

also the mc nearly has shitty enough eyesight to be considered legally blind, but she can still see with the help of strong ass glasses. Can this be solved through laser surgery? yep, but there's a reason why she hasn't gone for it

QOTD: thoughts so far?

Have a great day/night!!