16.8 - Stormbringer

In the car behind N, smoke continued to rise. Fuel was leaking from the body of the car. Inside were two figures, though they showed no signs of movement. The two inside were mafiosos, and they were both dead.

The mafioso in the driver's seat lay dead face first on the steering wheel, looking like he was sleeping. The skin and clothes from his neck to his waist was slowly melting, revealing the bones of his spine. White smoke, along with a horrible smell, was still rising from the car.

The man in the passenger seat was in a similar situation. The skin from his right shoulder to his arm melted away, and he died when his spine broke after smashing into the utility pole. The seatbelt was torn to shreds from a liquid acid that hit it from behind.

An empty liquid vial was lying on the floor of the backseat. It was obvious what had killed them. While they were driving, the man in the backseat threw some acidic liquid from behind. The two were unprepared. They couldn't react or fight back as their bodies were hit with acid, then they went off the road and crashed into the utility pole.

The two mafioso were on their way to Dazai after helping the kidnapped N who was left to die on the top of the crane tower.

Realising this, you considered sending your own flare up, but risked being found out by N. Still, Chuuya or Dazai would see it, and realise something was wrong immediately. Whether they would send backup or not, you didn't know, but they would check the site out at the very least.

Several strange, rainbow colored pieces of metal rained incessantly down from the flare. The rainbow colored shards, thinner than even a single snowflake, glistened like a faraway star. Each piece flickered beautifully, as if they resounded with an inaudible tune. Then, you realised. They were certainly dancing to music, though rather than actual music, they danced to the sound pressure. A simple, pure sign of music before it became the melody.

Soon after that, something strange happened.

You heard a scream of agony, from the direction of Ground Zero.

Worried for Chuuya's life over that of N's, you ran in the direction, trying to shelter yourself as much as possible.

The sky split in two.

Black lightning crashed down.

The atmosphere swelled.

Mafioso who were in the middle of withdrawing heard it. The lovely voice of a singing angel.

From atop the train, Dazai heard it. The howling laughter of a demon.

The same disaster happened nine years ago. The earth boiled, houses evaporated, and the heavens burned while the earth screamed.

It was the all encompassing, stormy Habaki, coming all the way from the other side of the world.

However—what was in front of them now, burning the forest away, wasn't Arahabaki. It was even bigger, even darker, and more sinister. It's massive body hid the moon, the slightest movement would create vacuum waves, and a single step would split the ground in two.

In the first ten seconds, all trees within a one-kilometer radius toppled over. The next ten seconds, the earth within the same radius was crushed and blown into the air. In the ten seconds after that, the gouged out earth boiled until it became lava and started to burn the surrounding trees.

N, on top of the hill, howled with laughter while looking out over the scenery.

"Hahahaha!! This is the Secret of the Gentle Forest, Verlaine-kun! This is how to return to your true form, to the one Rimbaud erased in order to protect you!" Looking up at N was a grotesque silhouette of a gigantic, black beast for whom Verlaine had become. "Even the god Arahabaki is nothing more than a carbon copy of you! The very first living singularity, a savage beast who came from the origins of this world. The name your creator gave you is the negative of a fierce god; the original demon—Guivre, the devilish beast!"