27 - Dreaming of Butterflies

An assistant unlocked the door to the mafia's safe house, allowing you and Mori to walk inside. The room your friends were at was near the end of the hall, meaning Mori and you had a long walk to get through.

"I think it's time we get the Special Division involved, if Dazai hasn't yet," you suggested, flipping through the file. "Our informants lost all trace of him, he's probably been imprisoned in a rather unpleasant trace."

"I'm sure Sakaguchi Ango-kun will have an idea of where Dazai may be, but it isn't wise to involve government in crime," Mori hummed, turning your idea down, before turning to the room that harboured your friends. "Be a dear and stay quiet, alright?"

Either you obeyed, or you paid the price with your head on a silver platter. You merely nodded, which he was pleased by. Mori opened the door, stepping inside to greet your friends.

"So, how's the mafia safe house treating you? I wouldn't exactly call it paradise on earth, but it should keep the Hunting Dogs' eyes off you for about a week."

"Mori-Sensei," Yosano croaked. "Do you know whether Kunikida is alive after the explosion and the fall?"

"No, sad to say," Mori sighed. "The only news I have is regarding Dazai-kun.... the Hunting Dogs arrested him prior to the hostage crisis. He was drugged then taken to the Justice Department and then to Public Welfare. I can't say where after that. But.... if it's a place even our best informants can reach, then I doubt that it's a plesant place."

Yosano threw the nearest piece of furniture Mori's way, which he neatly sidestepped.

"Stop fucking with me!" She yelled.

"I'm not 'fucking' with you at all, as you so kindly put it," Mori sneered. "The Agency needs to scatter and hide. We have their escape routes ready."

"Scatter? And what next?!" Yosano snarled.

"Next? There is no next," Mori scoffed. "You'll just live quietly in your little hiding spaces."

Yosano grit her teeth and grabbed Mori by the collar of his cloak, her left fist clenching, ready to punch him.

"....just as I thought," she choked out, defeated. "You never had any intent in saving the Agency."

"What?" Mori gaped.

"You'll 'do it as a trade for one Agency member'? Don't make me laugh," Yosano spat out. "All you want... is to get your hands on me!"

"True, what of it?" Mori sneered. "Fukuzawa-Dono was fully aware of that in our talks, Yosano-kun. You have no right to resist that."

"Our President would never say that!" Yosano insisted.

"No... Fukuzawa-Dono told me it was it was fine to name you," Mori shrugged.

"Boss," Hirotsu called, clearing his throat. "Pardon the interruption, but we found this at the entrance."

Hirotsu held up a walkie talkie in his hands, and turned it on, allowing all of you to hear what was going on.

"Yo!" The voice sounded. "Doing well, old sport?"

"That voice..!" Tanizaki realised. "Fitzgerald?!"

"It's been a while, hasn't it? I'd love to laugh at your predicament, but time is short so I'll keep it brief. I've sent the lycanthrope your way."

"Lycanthrope?" Kenji questioned.

"That must be Atsushi-kun!" Tanizaki beamed. "He's alive!"

"And why is the boy coming here?" Mori asked.