10.1 - The Dark Era

"Nice work," you smirked, pressing a kiss on his cheek.

"Shame I didn't get to die," your boyfriend grumbled. 

"You've gotten enough injuries for a lifetime, you don't need to die on top of that," you scoffed, rolling your eyes. "But I'm glad you got those checked up."

"Yeah, well you'd get all pouty if I did die on you," Dazai retorted, a faint ghost of a smile playing at his lips.

Three years. That's how long the two of you had been together. Yet, no one other than your best friends knew of this, for dating was often an iffy situation in the mafia world. Forms of weakness were heavily discouraged, including displays of physical affection. But, one thing you found was that prisoners tended to be at ease once they realised that the person torturing them had a soft spot.

Oh how wrong they were.

Even without knowing of your relationship status, everyone knew that Dazai and you were a duo that was not to be messed with. Dazai managed to manipulate and deceive your opponents in such a manner that even they didn't know the truth anymore, while you delivered the final blow by torturing them until the truth was the only thing they could helplessly babble out.

No one dared to beg for mercy under your presence.

Generally, when people saw either one of you, they would laugh. After all, seeing the title of 'Consigliere' for the most infamous organisation in Yokohama, on an eighteen year old of all people would catch most by surprise. People would think it a joke, for there was no chance that a girl like this could truly be the most feared individual in the underground.

Of course, once one saw your long list of achievements, they didn't laugh anymore.

A dark and bloody list of people you'd killed and tortured.

Dazai was no different, being one of the most powerful people in the organisation at eighteen. Him and the other four executives all reported directly to you, who got orders from the boss. The Port Mafia was like a web, with each executive commanding multiple branches underneath them, all of which reported to you and the boss during times of crises.

Unfortunately, being one of the mafia's top dogs meant that you had a lot of desk duty. After all, with five people reporting directly to you as well as hundreds of orders and requests coming from above, you tended to be drowing in paperwork and reports. Thankfully, you were an efficient worker, and your subordinates did you a favour by writing most of their reports themselves other than the extremely important ones. Which led to you developing an interest for teaching people lessons.

Both figuratively and literary.

All leaders trained a handful of workers to follow in their footsteps. For example, Dazai was to train the next commanding officer of the Black Lizard, whom Hirotsu and his squad would directly report to. You had to train someone to become an excellent assassin, one who could also be relied on to assist in torturing the information out of traitors. While you had your own underling, whom you'd developed an interest in, you also drove points home by proving anyone who dared to speak out against you wrong. This trait became especially useful in investigations.

There had even been times where you'd promised to let someone live if the information they provided could be proven to be true. Those that followed this, were kept in the mafia as prisoners, forced to work for the boss. The few idiots that didn't, the ones who thought they could lie to you and get away with it, were killed slowly after the truth was unveiled.

Years of doing this, and you became the most influential and feared person the underground ever got to hear of. No one dared to defy you. Not unless they had a death wish.

"You are aware that smuggling is a crime, yes?" You hummed.

"Y-yes ma'am," the criminal rasped out, blood trailing down his cheek.

"And you are aware that committing this crime against the Port Mafia will land you in worse places than prison, yes?" You continued.

"Yes ma'am," he nodded.

"Then, we can do this the easy way or the hard way," you smiled, a terrifying grin plasterig itself onto your face.

"W-what are the options, ma'am?" He whimpered.

"You either tell us everything you've done, or..." you trailed off, taking your phone out and showing it to him.

"No! Not my family, please!" He pleaded.

"Not the family, he says," you taunted, pressing the call button. "Ane-San, could you playback the screams of this fool's youngest daughter? He desperately wishes to hear them."

"No, please, I'll confess!" He insisted. "I'll tell you everything!"

"In that case, Ane-San, turn the camera so that it's facing his daughter," you instructed. "Oh, and keep you knife at her neck. If this bastard turns out to be lying, we want him to pay the price, don't we?"

That was all it took for people like him to spill everything, fear taking over their system. All of this would be simultaneously cross-checked by the intelligence unit, who would then give Executive Ozaki Kouyou the command to kill.

Such was the organisation of the Port Mafia.

Each of the five executives had a speciality: Dazai led the Commanding Unit, Kouyou managed torture and interrogation, Paul Verlain took care of assassinations, Chuuya handled large ambushes alongside the Commanding Unit and Ace dealt with information trade-offs. The Mafia Boss and his advisor who led these five, simply had to be good enough at each of their specialites as well as management of the workers. Thus, it was difficult to climb up the ranks far enough to be trusted by the one and only Mori Ougai. Apart from these people, there was a seperate intelligence squad, led by Sakaguchi Ango. Only after all these people did the mafia even think about depending on low-lives without any status.

"False information, I hear," you taunted. "Ane-San, how about we kill his daughter the traditional way?"

Kouyou forced the girl to bite the curb before delivering a swift kick to the back of her head. Her jaw was shattered within an instant, and she was unable to even garble out a scream of pain, as blood dribbled down her jaw. She cried, the salty tears mixing with her blood before splattering onto the ground.

"Spare her for now," you instructed. "This daughter of yours will not survive. Tell us the truth, and we spare her the misery of living in pain until death overcomes her. Lie again, and we will force you to watch her be tortured to death. Clear?"

"The organisation you're looking for is called Mimic!" He blurted.

After that, you got no more information.

"Ane-San, release his family members," you instructed. "They work for us now. Leave the girl in that room."

Having lost everything to you, he killed himself less than two hours later. Upon hearing the news, his wife followed suit.

You kept your promises and let people live upon telling the truth.

But after the shame they faced from their families, many often wished you'd killed them instead.

Thus was the power you wielded.