21 - Mutual Destruction (Part 2)

"Haaah, we can't have that, can we," you sighed, rubbing the back of your head. "Tanizaki's ability will be enough to protect him for a while, but the executives will definitely be on guard duty. No matter which one he encounters, he's done for."

"What do you suggest then, L/N-San?" Atsushi asked.

"I will infiltrate the Port Mafia," you announced. "Kyoka, would you like to join me?"

The young girl nodded, following you with ease.

"We'll be back soon," you promised, lifting up a manhole cover.

"Stay safe," Ranpo nodded.

The two of you jumped in, landing without a sound. Ranpo glanced down at the two of you one last time before closing it again, leaving you in total darkness. A spark crackled on your fingers, echoing in the complete silence that found itself within the walls of the sewer.

"To guide us," you explained to Kyoka, holding up your finger in front of you as if it were a torch.

The two of you walked through the maze, before turning the corner to a set of stairs you'd taken on multiple occasions. This one in specific, led directly to the Boss's quarters, where Tanizaki would likely be if things had gone according to plan. The two of you climbed up and sneaked through the hallway, silently knocking any guards that patrolled the area unconscious. When you reached the Boss's quarters, you heard the familiar sound of Golden Demon's slashing inside. You quickly signalled to Kyoka, kicking the door open as soon as she nodded.

Kyoka instantly attached with Demon Snow, while you sent a bright flash into the room, blinding Kouyou momentarily. With her slightly thrown off, you grabbed Tanizaki, throwing him over your shoulder so that you could still fight.

"Kyoka, Y/N...." Kouyou breathed, seeing the two of you opposite her.

"This building was my backyard," Kyoka reminded. "I know its rear and hidden entrances by heart."

"Kouyou-Sama!" A bunch of soldiers gasped, rushing in, guns ready. "Are you alright?!"

You immediately jumped away, Kyoka by your side. Demon Snow sliced a hole through the wall, before taking Tanizaki off your arms and handing both of you a parachute. Kyoka and you jumped as soon as you pulled them on, the soldiers shooting after the two of you.

"Stop!" Kouyou ordered. "You'll hit them!"

The fire ceased upon her order, and Kouyou leaned over the ledge to glance at the two of you, sorrow pooling in her eyes. Your landing was smooth, thankfully. Kyoka commed the rest of your coworkers, while you tried your best to decrease Tanizaki's bleeding. It wasn't long before the van pulled over, and all of you got in. You set Tanizaki down, allowing Yosano to heal him up.

"I'm sorry Ranpo-San," he croaked out. "I failed to pull it off."

"So be it," Ranpo sighed. "How was the mafia?"

"It looks like they moved the Boss to a Basement Safe Room," Kenji informed.

"What?" You gasped. "Are you sure?"

"There is no sneaking into there," Kyoka nodded.

"They're preparing for war," you realised. "We're too weak to stage a full frontal assault, but they're trying to lure us out into doing so..."

"But L/N-San... I just received a message now," Atsushi began. "The President said not to fight the mafia."

All of you froze, turning to him, shock evident on each of your faces.

"This is an order he has given to us while on the brink of death. We need another way to capture the skill user-"

"We've tried," Ranpo interrupted.

"But.."

"Ugh, alright. Before you spend a million years agonizing over it, I'll tell you the conlusion - we can't," Ranpo glared. "Our foe is a master of cunning. There is no way to overturn all his intricately laid traps in time."

"Not even with you, Ranpo-San?" Atsushi pleaded.

"I, of all people, should know. Still... this is clear insubordination. That's why I'll leave it up to you to decide if you want to join or not."

"You're telling us to choose between fighting the mafia... and retreating now?" Kunikida gaped.

"That's right," Ranpo confirmed. "But there's no time to deliberate. By my estimation, once the Mafia knows the leader's in that safe space, they will resort to terrorism. They will capture our family, friends, and others important to us.... and threaten to kill them one by one if we don't bring him out. If it comes to that... the Agency will have to go down on its knees in surrender."

Your first thought was Dazai, who was hospitalised, giving you instructions from afar.

Mori wouldn't kill him, you knew that much.

The next people you thought of, were Chuuya and Kouyou, both of whom had been close to you. Their only immunity, was the fact that they were Mori's subordinates.

In the end, you had people you loved on both sides.

How had you managed to get into a mess like this?

"I'm in," Tanizaki sighed. "In the end, hurting people is the only way we can survive and save others."

"I'm in too," Yosano nodded. "Mori-Sensei and I have a bit of a past, you see. If it's him, he'd surely allow an ending like this."

"The Boss is fearsome, but if my knowledge can aid the Agency in this..." Kyoka agreed.

"What? Even you, Kyoka-chan?" Atsushi gaped.

"Whether this is right or not, I can't really say... but if you're all risking danger, I'll head on over and help out," Kenji beamed.

"L/N-San?" Ranpo asked.

"I've got people precious to me on both sides," you sighed, cracking a weak smile. "If I'll lose someone anyways, might as well as do it while fighting for the better of both evils."

"What about you, Kunikida?" Ranpo checked. 

"Our leader... ordered us to protect the city's balance and peace. He yearns to keep its people safe from the sinister mind behind the curtain seeking to topple people," Kunikida choked out.

"So you'll break the 'rules' and pursue the target?"

"But- if I break those rules, more innocent people will die! Just like that little girl... if I see death like that before me again.......... I will never be able to-"

"Kunikida. You are the noblest, strongest member of the Agency. That's why the enemy chose to break your spirit first," Ranpo reminded. "Keep that in mind."

With that, all six of you walked out the van. You couldn't fight the mafia, that much was clear. No matter how much Dostoyevsky would try to manipulate the circumstances to make it that you did, fighting them would be stupid. Still, this was Fukuzawa you were talking about. He was the man who'd taken you in when you had nowhere else to go, and he was the man who didn't shun you even after he found out of your origins.

You couldn't just leave a man like that to die.

"Don't want to come, Atsushi?" Ranpo asked, turning around. "Do you know a way to track down the culprit?"

"I... I will think about it..."

"I figured as much..... you asked Katai to look into the 'Rats in the House of the Dead' logo, right? That's still ongoing, isn't it?"

Atsushi's eyes widened in curiosity, his full attention on Ranpo now.

"If there is any hope... it's in whether Katai's found the mastermind's hideout."

"Got it!"

"I'll leave it to you."