16.5 - Stormbringer

Two hours earlier.

Dazai was hanging upside down.

His legs were tied together to the edge of a street lamp, so he was suspended upside down.

"So, the only way to defeat the assassin king Verlaine is to have Chuuya jump out of a plane and get close to him from above."

Even though he was suspended in midair, Dazai's usual tired and bored expression hadn't changed in the least.

"That so?"

Chuuya sat in a chair and stared at the suspended Dazai with hostility. Adam looked between the two in bewilderment.

"Um... How exactly did it come to this...?"

They were at a mini airport located deep in the mountains, right beside the runway. The airport, far away from the heart of the city, was so quiet they could almost hear the twinkling of the evening stars. Two mechanics were inspecting a propeller in the distant hangar, though their voices didn't reach them.

Chuuya was holding a cord that was wrapped up around Dazai's waist several times. Round and round, like the string around a spinning top.

"This is actually to save time, Mr. Machine Investigator." Dazai said with an indifferent smile.

"To save... time?"

"Yup, because the once in a lifetime ambush operation is about to begin."

Adam looked between Dazai and Chuuya again. "The words of humans are so confusing. I don't have any interpretable situations similar to this in my database."

"I told you not to worry about it. Even this human is confused." Shirase, who stood a little ways away from Chuuya, had his arms crossed over his chest. His eyes were those of a person who had given up.

"Trust me, you'll only waste your energy trying to understand," you sighed, sipping at your coffee. "Get a move on, would you, Chuuya-kun?"

Chuuya glared at you and silently pulled on the string. He pulled and pulled, then stood up while taking a few steps back. Dazai, being pulled by the string, began to turn round and round. He explained the situation while he was rotating.

"We'll use a body double of Mori-san to lure Verlaine out. From there, we'll engage in a battle of arms, hitting him with everything we've got. If we successfully corner him, he'll open up the gate as his trump card. Then, Chuuya will approach him by plane."

Dazai said all that while he was slowly turning. His voice would sound far away as he faced the other way, then sound closer as he turned back around. Once the cord was pulled back as far as it could go and Dazai was leaning towards him, Chuuya let go.

"Verlaine will—" And he spun. "—probably try to—" And he spun. "—attack us—" And he spun. "—but that's all—" And he spun. "—part of the plan. If we—" And he spun. "—can neutralize the enemy's—" And he spun. "—attacks and get—" And he spun. "—to a point where—" And he spun. "—we can touch him—" He finally came to a stop. "—then it's our win. Blrgh..." And he threw up.

Adam looked at the vomiting Dazai helplessly. "I just don't get what's going on."

Chuuya walked back over to Dazai and started wrapping the cord around his torso once again. "I'm getting revenge on him at the same time as he's explaining our strategy."

"Ahh..."

"It's my right to get revenge. He gave N's information to Verlaine to earn us some time knowing I would be tortured. Not to mention, as a result of that information, Detective-san was killed. There's no way I'd let him go without payback." Chuuya said while glaring at Dazai. "I could think of 190 ways of exacting my revenge, and out of all of them, this one is the 2nd kindest. If I do any more than this, he won't be fit enough to act as the commander in our upcoming operation. It's taking everything I have to compromise."