6 - Murder on D Street

"Yet another murder case!" Ranpo giggled. "The city police are lacking as ever, I see... they would never catch a single criminal without my support. My super deduction skill is the best in this agency... no, in the whole country! No wonder they rely on me so much!"

"Eh- Ranpo-San, that book you're stepping on," Atsushi began nervously. "It belongs on the shelf."

"Oh, my apologies!" He trilled, lifting his leg, allowing Atsushi to pick up the book. "Go right ahead."

"We'll be counting on you, Ranpo-San," Kunikida smiled.

"Most right, Kunikida!" Ranpo nodded. "You call yourselves a detective agency, but your deduction powers are below that of a monkey! All of you merely live off the leftovers of my deduction!"

"Yeah, it sure is useful," Kenji agreed. "That skill and you instantly know everything about a case!"

"Truly, the ideal detective - no, the ideal skill user," Kunikida added. 

"Second to none," you hummed.

"Lad, we all have it covered, so please go with Ranpo-San and L/N-San," Kunikida requested. "It will be a short trip by train."

"You want me to assist on such a significant case?!" Atsushi panicked.

"Don't be silly," Ranpo drawled. "I am no second rate detective. Assistance is hardly necessary."

"Huh..? So what then?" Atsushi asked. 

"I need somebody to show me how to use the train," he grinned.

"But what about L/N-San!" Atsushi defended.

"The print on the train timetables is too small for me to read," you sighed. "I only join so that I have something to do. Occasionally, I bet with Ranpo-San on who can solve the case faster."

Atsushi groaned in defeat and joined the two of you, with Ranpo and you talking through the entire train ride while Atsushi awkwardly sat opposite you. It wasn't long before you'd arrived, only to be scolded the moment you entered the site.

"You're late, detective!" The lead investigator glared. 

"Hm? Who are you?" Ranpo asked. "Where's Yasui-San?"

"I'm Minoura," he introduced himself. "I took over this case from Yasui-San. Our department is handling this case, and we don't need you or your lousy agency."

"Oh rubbish! A master detective like me is always in need for difficult cases like these!" Ranpo scoffed. 

"I'd never ask a hack agency for help on this," the investigator snarled.

"And why is that?" You asked.

"Because the victim... was my own subordinate," he choked out. 

He knelt down and removed the large cloth which covered the body, showing a beautiful young woman wearing a beautiful watch, harbouring three bullet shots in her chest.

The mark of the Port Mafia.

"The body was discovered floating in the river this morning," one of the officers explained.