28 - Promises

"Good morning, are the patients in-" you began, only to be interrupted.

"It's the Consigliere!"

"Boss-Dono didn't inform us of a routine check!"

Pure panic.

"Enough," you sighed, lifting your hand up to silence them all. "I'm here to visit two patients, Hirotsu Ryuurou and Akutagawa Gin. They were brought in on Tuesday, are they awake?"

"Oh, right this way ma'am!" The recptionist beamed, guiding you along the halls.

As soon as you got to the room they were both kept in, the recptionist left you alone. You knocked on the door, peeking your head inside before fully opening it.

"L/N-Dono," Hirotsu noted, surprised. "Did Yosano-San get out?"

"She did," you nodded, setting a small basket of food down. "There's also a traitor in our ranks, but I unfortunately don't have the permission to disclose any further details."

"That must be how they got past the bomb Tachihara set up then," Gin hummed. "L/N-San, why are you cutting that?"

"Don't look at it like it's poison, Gin," you laughed dryly, sliding a plate of apple slices her way. "Did either of you need surgery?"

"Yeah, I was completely destroyed by the blade," Hirotsu groaned. "I assume things are only stacking up, at headquarters?"

"I'm so busy I had to fake three meetings just to get out," you sighed, handing him a bowl of fruit. "I'll also be confiscating your cigarettes, Boss wants you in top form as soon as possible."

"Very well," Hirotsu grumbled, handing you his cigarettes and lighter. "Here's your ring, by the way."

"Thank you," you smiled, pocketing all of it.

"Wait, that's the one I bought you with my first big salary!" Gin realised. 

"It wouldn't be befitting of a potential to throw away something a dear student bought, hm?" You hummed, sliding the ring back onto your finger, where it belonged and continued to peel an orange.

"So you're back for good?" Gin asked.

You pursed your lips, glaring at the fruit in your hand.

"Hirotsu-San, give me a debrief," you requested, changing the topic. 

Hirotsu explained everything, from how they were suddenly surrounded by the Hunting Dogs, all up to their escape at the very end. Since their seperation, Gin continued the story, retelling as much as she could until the point she passed she passed. Of course, you'd already heard the rest of the information from Yosano and Ranpo, so you didn't need to dirty your hands further.

"I see," you hummed. 

However, before you could continue, you were interrupted by a phone ringing.

"My phone's likely being tracked, choose your next words wisely," you began as soon as you picked up.

"Hey, how fast can you get here?" A familiar voice responded. "It's an emergency."

"Are you alright?" You checked, packing your things. "Anyone hurt? Dead? Do you need backup?"

"No, no, nothing like that!" He reassured. "Just get back to base, you've got.... a visitor.."

With that, you hung up, turning to the two patients in front of you.

"What was that about?" Gin blinked.

"I'm needed at headquarters for some reason," you sighed, grabbing your handbag. "I'll have to take my leave for now, give Tachihara my regards if he drops by!"