10 - Constantly Pushed Back to the Past

"Oh, you're back," Dazai mumbled.

05:30 AM.

The two of you were the only ones in the office. Dazai was sitting on the couch, reading, while you had just entered. The conversation about his visit to the mafia had sent you into a state of stress, so you avoided your apartment entirely to avoid your friend as well.

"What are you doing here?" You choked out.

"Waiting, I guess," he shrugged. "Target practice?"

"Yep," you sighed, collapsing by his side onto the couch.

Well... by his side wouldn't be entirely correct. You'd stretched yourself out, and placed your head on his lap, so that he was looking directly down at you. It was a motion both of you had oftentimes repeated when you didn't want to confront the issue at hand, but rather wished to remain in the other's presence for some comfort.

"Didn't think that mentioning him would send you into a spiral," he laughed wryly. "Still not going to tell me what happened?"

"Nope," you responded curtly. 

"Alright," he shrugged, running his free hand through your hair.

The two of you stayed like that until it was a few minutes before work. Since Kunikida was usually the only one to arrive at the time, and the two of you didn't want him catching you in this state, both of you escaped into your apartment and waited it out.

"You still have that watch?" Dazai asked, watching you get ready for work.

"Couldn't bring myself to throw it out," you mumbled. "I used to wear it, if I ever got nostalgic. 'Course, that doesn't happen much now."

"I suppose that makes sense," Dazai hummed. "You were always the more sentimental one of us, eventhough everyone else knew you as a coldhearted boss."

"What can I say? I'm a woman of many faces," you smirked, grabbing your bag and keys. "Ready?"

"Yep!" Dazai nodded, walking right by your side.

Both of you reached the agency half an hour after Kunikida did, much to his surprise.

09:30 AM.

Three hours after your run-in with Dazai, the two of you were back at the agency, pretending nothing weird had happened in the past twelve hours. It wasn't long before the last workers came in, one of them being Atsushi, with Kyoka in tow.

"I didn't hear anything about living with her!" Atsushi complained.

"Well, we are a tad short on rooms," Dazai apologised.

"Besides, half off on your rent is a blessing on your rookie salary," you added. "We'd know. The two of us have shared an apartment since our first days here."

"But..." Atsushi stammered.

"She's already agreed to it, right?" Dazai grinned.

"As you wish," Kyoka nodded. 

"What don't you understand, Atsushi-kun?" Dazai asked, pulling him aside. "She is alone in a vast swamp... chased by the mafia, no relatives to turn to... a mafia assassin might come to kill her for betraying them. Living by herself is perilious indeed!"

"T-true enough..." Atsushi mumbled. 

"Protect her, okay?" Dazai requested. "It's a really big job for you!"

"Alright! I'll do my best!" Atsushi beamed.

"Stop toying with the kid," Kunikida glared. "And give me a report on the mafia ordeal already."