10.7 - The Dark Era

"He can read moves, I'm sure you have the same skill," you hissed to Oda as you realised who it was.

"Then take Akutagawa and run!" Oda insisted. "I'm here to lay my life down if necessary, we cannot afford you to get caught in the mix!"

"Akutagawa should wake up soon, at least keep one of us as backup!" You pleaded. "Osamu would be ruined if something were to happen to you!"

"I'll keep the kid then, you run!" Oda ordered one last time.

And just like that, you sprinted for your life.

By the time you reached home, it was night. The injured piled up in the infirmary, while the executives counted the dead in the main foyer. It was a massacre. Many had laid down their lives for the glory of the mafia. You feared that Oda would be one of them, but were beyond relieved when he walked out of the infirmary that night.

Ever since that day, Mimic didn't attack again. Oda locked himself in his room, while Dazai became attached to your hip, even more than usual. Of course, this led to more and more people becoming suspsicious of your relationship. Not bothering to fight any accusations, the two of you let the rumour mill work, and got more familiar with one another. No one had any complaints, but it wasn't like anyone had the courage to against Yokohama's deadliest duo.

"Hey, I'm meeting Odasaku for work at the pub," Dazai informed, getting ready one night. "Do you want to come?"

"I'm coming for the drinks," you shrugged. "If anything gets awkward, I'm leaving."

"Alright," Dazai grinned.

The three of you took a walk through downtown Yokohama. The city residents were calmly roaming the streets. Buildings old and new equally bathed in the moist sea breeze. The golden stars in the sky flickered just like the lights on the earth's surface.

"Where are we going now?" Oda asked.

"To meet someone." Dazai smiled. "Anyway, I feel for you, Odasaku. Not only did you run into the enemy's boss, but he made some serious advances toward you, too. At this rate, you guys will be married by the weekend."

"That's not what happened." Oda sighed. "They're just a group of weirdos who start wars for the sake of it."

"Oh? I think it's kinda cute, going to such lengths to plan another person's death. I never would've thought of doing that." There was more than a hint of amusement in his tone. "But I can't ignore what he said to you before he left. They might try to switch up their strategy before attacking again. I need to have my men keep an eye on you."

"How much longer is this conflict gonna last?" Oda asked, trying to change the subject.

"The Mimic soldiers don't bother me so much, but the leader's skill is a real pain," Dazai grumbled. "Surprise attacks won't work, which means we need some inside information. Got any ideas?"

The Mafia was making every effort to get intel on Mimic, but so far it had been all for naught.

"Ango's the only lead I've got," Oda said. "He was working as a double agent for the Mafia and Mimic for years. He ought to know a lot more than what he told me the other day."

"I agree." Dazai nodded.

"Is there no way to find him?" Oda pressed.

"There is," he plainly declared.

"Oh, there is?" Oda nodded. "Wait. There is?"

"More precisely, there's no need to search for him. He'll be waiting for us. All right, we're here."