17 - Stormbringer

And just like that, the case came to a close.

There were many deaths this time around, but people's memories faded over time. It was the same as when a typhoon or power outage happened: there was a lot of damage, but no one knew the real reason for why it happened.

Of course, the predictions European officials made helped out, too.

Reports in the newspaper credited the absolute destruction in the suburbs of Yokohama as a large-scale conflict between the illegal organization Port Mafia and enemy organizations of theirs. The surrounding area was disfigured due to firearms, grenades, and a frightening amount of bombs flying about. Nothing more, nothing less.

But of course, with the amount of destruction that happened, it was a given that the specialists in crime related to ability users started to move—the military police's gifted crime countermeasure unit, a natural enemy to an illegal organization like the Port Mafia.

However, within half a month, the military police's investigation suddenly stopped, like a vanishing breath. Everyone involved turned their heads at that since this case was thought to thoroughly clean up the Port Mafia. The Port Mafia was powerful, but they weren't powerful enough to silence the military police—the country's strongest crime investigative agency. So then, what kind of magic did the Port Mafia use?

They didn't use any magic. There was no need to.

British and French public safety agencies interfered with the Ministry of Justice's legal decisions through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and just like that, it was swept under the rug with a broom and dustpan. Two of the strongest secret weapons in the world had fought and destroyed each other, after all. The Japanese government didn't want to see a single piece of this case. As a result of the major superpowers in Europe extinguishing this fire, only a small number of mafioso were charged with fines and suspended misdemeanor sentences before it was all over.

And so, the Assassin King case that devastated the Port Mafia drew to a close. 

Two months later, right when Chuuya got back to the pier after seeing a friend off and was about to ride his motorcycle, a black car slowly approached him. The back-seat window slowly rolled down and one of the figures inside called out, "Chuuya."

It was Dazai.

He was in a getup he seldom wore. He had a black suit on with a tie fastened around his neck. The outfit was formal, like he was going to receive guests of honor.

"We've got work in five minutes," you called from by his side.

You were dressed in a similar fashion, wearing a longer red dress and having styled your hair beautifully.

The three of you stood underneath the ramp of a luxury liner.

The luxury liner was a ridiculously high-end cruise ship. There wasn't a single mark on the painted white walls, the guest rooms on the fifth story were lined with decorations reminiscent of a five-star hotel, and the skilled tour guides accompanied guests no matter where they went. The sailing power of this ship was twice that of the passenger ship, but despite that, the shaking inside the cruise was less than a tenth of that of the ship.

The cruise's name was the Bosverian.

It was a ship for strict government use where only prominent government officials were allowed to board.

The cruise's ramp came down and delegates got off of it in front of the two boys. First up was a guardsman in a black suit, who looked around warily in every direction. Everybody there had the bulky outline of a pistol resting on their waists.