26 - Saudade

"Fucking finally, these days are only getting longer," Chuuya groaned, collapsing onto his couch as soon as he walked in. "You take the bed."

"Absolutely not," you scoffed, dragging him up. "It's your place, y'know? You have a right to be comfortable, I don't mind taking the couch."

"Are you sure?" Chuuya asked, hesitant.

"Don't make me pull out the commanding officer card, go sleep," you glared. "Besides, even Osamu's crashed here before, and I'm package sized in comparison to him."

Something that surprised you, was that Chuuya still had the same apartment from your mafia days, just slightly rennovated. You assumed that he would have moved out first chance he got, since Dazai knew where he lived and that.... got annoying at times, even when they were allies. But he didn't move out, and he still had two drawers stowed away of things both of you needed. He couldn't seem to get rid of either, for some reason, which ended up playing in your favour because now you had some of your old clothes at hand.

"Fine, I'll just be inside working if you need anything," Chuuya sighed, heading inside.

"I'll be up reading for a while," you said as you sat down, a case file in hand.

With that, the two of you went your seperate ways, with you poring over the file in search of clues on how to solve the situation. Nothing helped, in fact, any information you got only made your head spin even more. You don't know when you drifted off to sleep, but you were smart enough to realise that it wasn't a peaceful one.

You rushed to the bathroom, feeling the bile rising up your throat. Things started getting blurry. You were kneeling on the floor, hanging over the toilet bowl as you threw up, tears streaking your cheeks. 

"If there's a brat inside you I'm sending you to Boss to get that checked out," Chuuya yawned, setting a box by your side. 

Normally you would have said something in response, no matter how tired or mad at him you were. When you stayed silent, however, and didn't even acknowledge his presence, Chuuya got worried.

"Hey," he called, squatting down next to you.

The first thing to get you out of your zoned out state, was the familiar scent of vanilla. You let out a shaky breath, squeezing your eyes shut as the air burned in your lungs. 

"I'm fine," you muttered out, trying to stand up.

Key word: trying to.

Annoyingly, your legs gave out almost instantly, causing you to sit back down. Chuuya pursed his lips and stood up, grabbing your toothbrush before kneeling back down next to you. He helped you brush your teeth, trying not to bother you too much, since you still seemed extremely shaken. You randomly choked back tears, squeezing your hands tight whenever that would happen. 

"Should I get someone?" Chuuya offered. 

"No," you shook your head, leaning into him. "Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you."

"I think I'd prefer that over opening this place in the morning only to find you passed out on the floor," Chuuya mumbled, squeezing your shoulder. 

You were far too exhausted to even reply to that, only sinking further into the crook of his neck, letting the scent of vanilla envelope you in a comforting embrace. Chuuya could feel hot tears dripping onto his neck, which only worried him further. 

"What happened?" Chuuya gently pressed. "I've never seen you like this, it'd be terrifying if it weren't for the fact that I've seen you enraged before."

That itself got a weak laugh out of you, and you pulled away to take in the way Chuuya looked. Three years since you'd seen him like this, and still, nothing had changed. He still wore the same loose shirt to bed, with what looked like basketball shorts, probably the same clothes he'd had since you met him as teenagers. His hair was a mess from his pillow, flying all over the place, a few strands framing his exposed collar.