17.4 - Dead Apple

"You..... Akutagawa?!" Atsushi gaped.

Atsushi immediately held his gun up, ready to shoot at Akutagawa.

"What a pathetic weapon," Akutagawa scoffed. "After all, a pea-shooter like that won't do anything against her."

A figure that looked like it was wrapped head to toe in bandages stood in the alleyway opposite you, glowing a faint red.

"Rashomon," you breathed out, eyes softening.

Suddenly, you heard purring behind you, as well as the flickering of street lamps. The four of you were completely cornered at the junction, each one of your abilities prowling from a corner, ready to attack.

"Fucking brilliant," you snarled.

Suddenly, Rashomon and the Weretiger lunged at one another, immediately wrestling against each other.

"Interesting," Akutagawa hummed. "Let's see which one is stronger."

"Now is not the time for that!" Atsushi scolded.

Before either you or Kyoka could retort, your own abilities attacked once more, pushing you and Kyoka back to back so that neither of you had space to move.

"Ryuu, are the passages and their passwords still the same?" You asked, turning to face him.

Akutagawa clicked his tongue and turned away.

"Follow me, weretiger," he glared. "L/N-San and Kyoka already know the way."

"Hey, are you just gonna-" Atsushi began, but you shoved him away.

"Go!" You insisted.

"We'll find the way, promise!" Kyoka reassured, sending him off. Once he was gone, she turned to you once more, hoping you had some answers. "L/N-San, do you know what to do?"

"Thank you Kunikida for never letting our uniform go without one of these," you muttered, reaching into your pockets and grabbing out a small bomb. "This'll be enough to distract them."

With that, you set of the smoke bomb and made a hasty exit, knowing the way like the back of your hand. The two of you had to jump over numerous hurdles, each of which came in a variety of forms.

"Kyoka!" You called, beckoning her over.

She understood, and jumped onto an outstretched palm briefly, allowing you to vault her in the direction of the elevator. It was a move you'd pulled with your partners on various occasions before, and a move you ensured every assassin was taught under Verlaine's guidance. Clearly, you still had some power over the way things were run back at the Port Mafia, for Kyoka knew within seconds what you wanted her to do. Just like that, the two of you skidded into the elevator, and frantically pulled the doors shut.

"This emergency passage was built in case of an attack launched by ability users," Akutagawa explained to Atsushi. "Even the fog shouldn't be able to enter this place."

"What the hell even is that fog?" Atsushi glared.

"The Dragon's Breath," Akutagawa sighed.

"Dragon...?" Atsushi questioned.

"Kyoka," Akutagawa began, turning to face the child. "With both of our abilities stripped from us, you could use your assassin skills to kill me. What's stopping you? Shouldn't you get back at me?"

"Kyoka-chan doesn't think anything of you anymore!" Atsushi snarled.

"Do you want to settle things while we don't have our abilities?" Akutagawa sneered.

"Ryuu," you scolded, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Do you know a method to get our abilities back?" Kyoka suddenly asked, turning around.