19 - Masked Assassin

"Man, work's getting busier than I would've ever expected," you sighed, running your fingers through your hair.

"That's why we simply shouldn't work!" Dazai beamed.

"Speak for yourself, I don't want to deal with an annoyed Kunikida," you laughed, sliding into your seat.

"L/N-San, please have these finished by 12:02:34, so that we can have lunch and continue working in accordance to our schedule," Kunikida nodded, setting a pile of papers on your desk.

"Kunikida-kun, I put in my three days' notice beforehand!" You protested. "I'm out for most of the morning!"

"Yes, I see," Kunikida realised. "Then Tanizaki, you finish this!"

"My, your schedule's more packed today than ever," Dazai awed, leaning over Kunikida's shoulder to see.

"Even so, I swear upon my soul that I will fully execute this perfect schedule!" Kunikida declared, snapping his notebook shut.

"Oh, Kunikida! Come grocery shopping with me and L/N!" Yosano called.

"My apologies, ask someone else."

"An informant tipped us off about a bomber," Tanizaki began, reading through his new files. "He plans to give an explosive satchel to a passerby, then set it off in the middle of-"

"I'll address it later."

"Kunikida, I'm out of sna-" Ranpo complained.

"There are more in the kitchen shelves, and L/N and Yosano-Sensei can get you some."

Just before he left the office, Kunikida turned around, this time addressing Dazai.

"Don't you dare mess with my schedule today!"

"Of course!" Dazai beamed. "By my very life!"

"I won't trust the promises of a suicidal man you bandage-wasting-device!" Kunikida snapped. "Ah, eighteen seconds behind."

With that, Kunikida rushed out, muttering about his delays on his schedule.

"Yosano-San, shall we head out?" You hummed, grabbing a bag.

"We should definitely stop by the clothing store on our way!" Yosano grinned, grabbing your wrist and dragging you along.

The walk to the shopping center was less than five minutes, and one the two of you often indulged in. Due to the overall lack of female coworkers at the Agency, your options on shopping trips was to either drag Dazai along and have him complain for hours on end, or it was to go alone. Yosano had the same problem, which led to the two of you planning trips together, and doing the weekly grocery shopping together as well. 

"This skirt would look adorable with your peplum top," Yosano hummed, picking up a long A-line skirt. "Goes with your overall style as well, don't you think?"

"Right, but fighting with a long skirt is a pain," you reminded. "Not that I haven't done it before, but I just wouldn't choose to do it on a daily basis."

"That's fair I suppose," she nodded. 

The two of you had been in the area for a little less than half an hour, simply looking at the clothes and trying some on without bothering to buy them. 

"Look at these heels," you awed, picking up a pair of black stilletos to show to your friend. "Now these would suit you, for sure."

However, before she could respond, a familiar noise was heard throughout the entire area. You could feel a surplus of light as well, having sensed it coming from the direction of the station.