16.4 - Stormbringer

"I'm over here~"

The voice came from behind him. When Verlaine turned around, he saw the same hole had opened up in a different place, watching him.

It was a spatial connection ability that could continuously monitor it's targets. More than likely the user's true body was somewhere safe as they continued to survey the battlefield. Since the person themselves weren't attacking, if Verlaine tried to touch the space and it closed, it would be virtually impossible for him to destroy them with gravity.

"Tee-hee, here's a gift for you! From the Port Mafia with love~"

Pink flower petals were blown out of the coin-sized hole. Countless petals surrounded Verlaine.

The petals began to glow white. This was another ability—

The moment Verlaine tried to quickly take measures for avoidance, the flower petals simultaneously exploded. 

Verlaine was looking out at the world from inside his muddy consciousness. There was slashing, shooting, and liquified earth along with flashes of infrared rays in the cold air and a wall of sound in a poisonous fog.

Whenever he landed, the earth became liquid and coiled around him, which stopped him from using his gravity. And anytime he tried to breathe, the chilled air would freeze his throat and close it up. Flashes of light blocked his vision and sound waves destroyed his hearing, and whenever he stopped, the sniper bullets rained down on him. Even if he were to throw his personal belongings using his gravity, the demon's longsword would cut through all of them.

And all of their attacks were coordinated by the devilishly intelligent boy Dazai Osamu, chasing Verlaine down with machine-like precision.

Verlaine opened his mouth and with burning hatred, let a verse flow out.

"Thy hatred, stupefactions, and despairs
As the brutalities thou once suffered,
Like an excess flow of blood month by month,
The requital thou shall return to us

O, night without malice"

The wind and the rustling of the forest came to a stop, almost like the sounds were running from something.

Invisible waves filled the air.

Something like black snow began to dance around Verlaine. But it wasn't snow. It wasn't even a type of matter. The darkness burst open and disappeared. It was a mini universe.

Verlaine let out a growl. His roar turned into a large, black wave that scraped and condensed the forest. Verlaine's hat was blown off by the shock and disappeared somewhere in the forest. Dazai shouted to find shelter over the radio, but even his voice was lost in the shock wave.

Then, a nightmarish figure appeared.

The sound of Dazai's voice saying to find shelter was heard from a radio.

Meanwhile, the spatial connection ability user that was in the coin shaped hole—Trapper, realized Verlaine was suddenly swallowed up by the darkness while he was watching him.

"What the? Th—"

Those became his last words. The moment the gravitational wave burst, it passed through the hole to the mafia hideout where Trapper was staying. The sudden spatial distortion pulled his body through the hole.

He didn't have the luxury of bracing himself. Trapper's face crashed into the hole. But it didn't stop there, and the skin that touched the hole was sucked out to the other side. The gravitational waves grew even stronger so his flesh, bones, and clothes fell into the hole, like water in a ditch, until nothing was left. The hole closed because of his death, and the room returned to silence.