1.6

Amara struggled to get comfortable, her broken ribs making it hard to find the right spot, she couldn't sleep but all she wanted to do was sleep. Forcing her eyes shut as she turned towards the wall, forcing her hands under the pillow trying to fall asleep.

She finally started to drift to sleep, not hearing the door creak open and close. Kate tiptoeing to the bed.

"Are you awake?" Kate's voice was a little bit over a whisper, her lips meeting her girlfriend's shoulder, brushing back some of Amara's hair.

"I almost wasn't," Amara sighed looking over her shoulder.

"I can't sleep," Kate pouted, her face barely lit by the moonlight shinning in through the blinds.

"Same, everything hurts," Amara complained.

"Scoot over," Kate nodded her head towards the wall, Amara did what her girlfriend said.

Kate slid under the covers, wrapping her arms around Amara, pulling her close, pressing a soft kiss on her shoulder. Amara tangled her fingers with Kate's holding their hands to her chest, lightly kissing her knuckles.

"I love you," Amara whispered against her skin.

"I love you," Kate smiled, pressing her lips to girl's shoulder again.

Having Kate with her made every problem melt away, her body didn't ache, she wasn't just kicked out, everything was good with Kate beside her.

Kate immediately got sleepy, holding Amara to her chest like a teddy bear, she made the archer feel safe, she felt like she was safe with Amara next to her.

All they needed was each other.

The next morning Kate awoke with Amara's head on her chest, brushing some of the girl's dark hair off her own face, then gently running her fingers's though the black strands, closing her eyes again.

With no reason to get up, no reason to get out of bed the girls slept until a knock on the door startled them both awake. Amara propping herself up on her arms.

"He's gonna kill you!" Amara whisper yelled, looking down at a frozen Kate, "Closet!"

Kate nodded, quietly rushing off the bed like a cartoon character.
Amara quietly shut the closet door, holding her breath before opening the main door.

"Good morning," she smiled like she had just woke up, which wasn't a hard act to pull off in this moment.

Amara stood with one hand on the partially opened door, the other bend, hand on her head, as her eyes met Clint Barton.

"Hey, Clint," Amara smiled, saying the man's name loud enough for Kate to hear.

Kate held her breath as if it would help her not be seen.

"Breakfast is ready," he nodded, "You too, Kate!" he called out looking over the girls head. Amara dropped her head in defeat as he walked away with a cheeky smile.

Amara sighed, looking over at the closet door creaking open.

"I don't know how we thought we could hide that from a S.H.E.I.L.D agent and a literal Avenger," Amara said as the two girls met in the middle of the room.

"Laura's a S.H.E.I.L.D agent?" Kate's voice was a mix of shock and confusion as she put her hands on Amara's waist.

"Yeah," Amara smiled, arms draped around Kate's neck, "She's gonna teach me some moves."

"Oh gosh," Kate sighed, dropping her head.

"Hey! It's self defense," Amara protested. Kate just shook her head as she slipped her hand into Amara's leading them downstairs.

The two girls made their way downstairs, still in their PJs, finding the whole Barton clan in the kitchen. Laura and Clint maneuvering around each other with ease as they plated food. The two Barton boys sat at the table as Lila brought plates to the table.

"Good morning," Laura smiled when she saw the girls at the bottom of the stairs.

"Morning," Amara smiled.

"Coffee?" Laura held the pot up.

"Yes please!" Amara smiled.

"Please," Kate said as they made their way to the table, filling two seats.

A minute later the heads of the household filled the last two seats at the table, right across from Amara and Kate.

"We're going to visit my parents after this but...if you wanna start some training later, we can," Laura smiled, sitting across from Amara, "If you're up to it."

"I should be," Amara smiled, despite her aching body she didn't want to turn down Laura's offer.

The rest of breakfast was just small talk. Amara and Nathaniel messing around becoming friends. Lila trying to ask her father about what happened, before Laura rushed the kids off to go get ready for the day.

"We want a minute alone with these two," Laura nodded at her kids as she collected plates from the table, "Go get ready"

"Ooo you're in trouble," Nathanial teased as the three kids headed upstairs. Amara turned and playfully stuck her tongue out at the boy, he did it right back before running up the stairs.

"We just wanted to check in with you both," Laura started.

"She," Clint corrected as he took dishes to the sink.

"He cares," Laura whispered to the girls.

"Is there anything we can get you two? Or do for you?" Laura asked while her husband started the dishes.

"Letting us stay with you is more then we could of ever even asked for," Kate spoke for the couple.

"Thank you again," Amara added, "If there's ever anything I can do to help out while we're here, let me know"

"Me too," Kate smiled.

"Don't, she'll clean the windows with wax," Amara shook her head.

"I did that one time!" Kate groaned.

"Which was more then it needed to happen," Amara turned to glare at Kate who just crossed her arms with a huff.

"Would you mind finishing up down here while we get ready?" Clint asked.

"Clint!" Laura warned.

"We don't mind," Amara smiled.

"See," Clint hummed, happily walking away from the sink.

"Go get ready," Amara smiled at Laura, "We've got this, it's the very least we can do"

Laura gave in and left the room to follow Clint to go get ready for the day.

Kate and Amara started the dishes. Amara washing them all while Kate dried them and struggled to find which cabinet they went in. It didn't take them long once they got into a rhythm of motions.