2.3

The next day, a light beeping, made her open slowly open her eyes, she immediately recognized the room as a hospital room. She only remembered the bits and pieces of the fight.

Amara slowly looked around the room, her head pounding.

Clint was asleep in the only chair in the room. Kate was curled up on the floor, also asleep, leaning against the chair. She didn't want to wake them because she didn't know what had happened last night, but she could tell they had been here all night and that made her smile.

A few minutes later, a nurse with a tray of food came in, "Good morning, sweetie"

"Good morning," Amara whispered, adjusting herself to sit up more, "Uhm what happened?"

"Why don't you get some food in you, then I'll have the doctor come in soon and we can talk," she smiled, her smile was warm and motherly, "Everything is okay though."

Amara just nodded as the nurse left the room. The food in front of her was not the best looking but her stomach was making a symphony of noises. She quietly ate for a while, eyes on the tiny TV hung up in front of her bed, some old 80's TV show playing.

"Ow," Kate slowly woke up, rubbing her sore neck from sleeping at such an odd angle, "Mar!" She smiled when she saw her girlfriend was up.

"How are you feeling?" Kate asked as she slowly stood up, stretching, then making her way to her bedside.

"A little drowsy but I'm okay," Amara gave her a weak smiled, setting down her spoon.

"You've got yogurt on your cheek," Kate smiled, using her thumb to wipe her girlfriend's cheek.

"Thanks," Amara couldn't help but blush, "What happened last night?"

"The short version is we ruined Yelena's mission," Kate sighed, "The long version is you were kidnapped and then I freaked out and made Clint come find you with me, then"

"Kate, my head still hurts. I'm okay with the short version for now," Amara chuckled.

"That big guy you helped fight the night of the party?"

Amara nodded.

"He was the one who ordered you be captured, he wanted to get Clint and I before the trial went on," Kate explained, "But you would have been less hurt if you didn't stash a freakin knife in your pants! Why was it even there?"

"I had it as a back up plan if I ran out of bullets but I didn't even have the balls to pull the trigger," Amara looked down at her hands, ashamed. Her eyes started to tear up, "God, I couldn't do it," she sniffled, stuttering she spoke again, "I...I just wanted to help."

"Mar," Kate sighed, taking a seat on the bed, taking Amara's hand in her own, "Don't be so hard on yourself, it's okay, all that matters is that you're okay."

"But I wanted to help. And I couldn't do it, I immediately thought about how I would feel if someone shot you and you didn't come home," she looked up at Kate with tear filled eyes, "I didn't care that these were a bunch of criminals," Amara went on, sniffling every few words, "I'm absolutely useless," she dramatically leaned back into the bed.

"You're far from useless," Kate's blue eyes met Amara's dark sad ones, "It's okay you couldn't do it, you can leave the fighting to me and Clint," she wiped a tear from Amara's cheek, "Remember when you got us gunpowder? That night would of never been successful without your help."