Chapter 4

"So how's the kitchen there, Purdy?" Pefida asked her twin once they finished eating in the restaurant.

"It's good," Perdita said.

"See something interesting?"

"Hmm... yeah, but I heard something interesting too."

"Really? what is it?"

"I heard a cook said that there's this forbidden forest in the island and there are kids disappearing there because of a spirit."

"A forbidden forest?" Perfida accidently spoke it out loud.

"What? Where'd you hear that?" Torrey gasped that Perfida mentioned it.

Perfida got flustered. "I... heard people talking, why?"

"Oh! it's this one spot in the island and it's dangerous."

"Because of a spirit?"

"You heard that part too? don't listen to that, it's actually the Insurgencies."

"Insurgencies?" Archie questioned.

"They're the island rebellions but let's not talk about that especially in front of my husband," Torrey whispered. "Just... don't."

"Okay," Perfida nodded at her and just do what she said. "Sorry, I even mentioned it," then she scowled at her sister who now felt sheepish.

They were back in the hotel and the girls were hanging out in boys' room first "the forbidden forest of Thoto," Vance typed it in his tablet to do some researching.

"We're on vacation, why do we have to do some study?" Perfida reminded.

"I'm doing some study, Perfida. I just want to see what's the fuss is about". The results came and Vance tapped on one of them. "Here it is."

"What's it say?" Leyo asked as he checked it out.

"The forbidden forest, also called the Home of the Wagan spirits..."

"Wait, spirits?" Perfida was taken aback by that then dashed to see Vance's tablet. "Purdy did mention that."

"Oh, now you're interested?"

"Never said I wasn't, now read."

"Okay, the Zumu people, the first settlers of Thoto, believes that there were spirits that protects the forests by taking those who wants to destroy it, some say that there's a spiritual village in that area that not a lot of people can see."

"A spiritual village? that's new."

"Witnesses said that Wagan spirits wear white cloaks that covers their face and can either lure their victims to take them to their village or..."

"I get the picture. Woah, if they're real, I don't think I want to come across them, they sound scary."

"Tell me about it, look at these," Vance tapped on to a different site. "There were reports of people just vanished, three to five people a year."

"But Mrs. French said that it could be the Insurgencies," Leyo said.

"Of course she's gonna say that, Leyo, because it's 'rational'. Maybe it's worth checking out."

"And be on the list with those victims?" Perfida questioned. "We still don't know whether it's a spirit or the insurgencies."

"Well... why don't we... you know debunked it?"

"Come on, Peachy? this is gonna be fun," Perdita insisted.

"I heard that," Vance smirked when pointing at his spiritbox. "And she's right."