Chapter 29.

*Raquel's POV*

I stand at the stage next to three other girls. Two of them were around pre-teen ages, the other was in her mid 40's. I only knew some of the guests here, so I can tell that these girls were new faces. I look up and see the spotlight shining its way on all of us. I wince, hovering my hand over my face to cover from the brightness.

The mayor started the bid with one of the pre-teen girls. Her name was Julie, and the bid started at $100 for her, coming from another young pre-teen male from the far right of the dance floor, whispering numbers with his father. Then another bidded $200, and another $250, and so on.

Pretty much all pre-teen males exchanged whispers to their parents, eyeing on their wallets to dance with Julie. Eventually, the bid stopped at $400, to a young boy who was one of Mrs. Gertrude's nephews. His name was Fredrick, looked to be about Julie's age, and he was known to be an excellent violin player.

The guests clap, and Julie curtsies. Fredrick makes his way up to her on stage, lending out his hand. She elegantly places her hand on his, and they walk amongst the crowd on the dance floor.

The next bid was the last pre-teen girl, going by the name of Caylee. If I was going to be frank, she looked like me during my middle school years. Didn't care too much about looks, and wore whatever she wanted. She had a ponytail on with a bright 80's scrunchie, wearing a sequenced green dress, with cute converse. To me, she was adorable, but towards jerky wealthy young males her age, I'm aware how ruthless they can be.

The bid started, but none of the pre-teen males bid for her. The room was dead silent, and after 30 seconds of it, the mayor breaks it with a laugh and a slight friendly joke to make things less awkward.

I tear up, glancing over at Caylee. She laughs at the joke to be political, but exits the stage with a frown. Witnessing her rejection, triggered my middle school trauma of the first taste of being unwanted.

Noticing that it was almost my turn, I feel my heart rapidly beat. Why did I have to be last? The sweat escapes my scalp and palms as older men begin to bid for the lady in her mid 40's next to me. Her name was London Hughes, who I recognized now, as the wife of Bartman Hughes, one of the older gentlemen dad greeted earlier, whose son Darwin, was the reason I bluntly stated I had a boyfriend. I don't see the wives of top investors that much, which was probably why I thought she was a new face. Strange how I don't see her face much in events like these.

A couple of older men bid $1000 and more, but her husband put up a pretty good fight, ending the bid with $100,000 to dance the night away with his wife. There was quite a bit of jealousy and competitiveness among the other men who bid for her, but it was amusing to see how many suitors she had, willing to pay thousands of dollars to dance the rest of the night with her, knowing that she's already married.

Once she ecstatically exits the stage with her husband, I gulp at the sound of my name.

"Raquel Huxley," The Mayor states, "Let's see....oh!"

"$200." says a male voice from the audience.

CRAP.

Someone actually started my bid.

I couldn't make out who it was. My eyes continue to squint, looking through the spotlight shining on me.

The Mayor gleams, "$200, starting off at $200-"

"$300." I hear another male voice.

I look around, and can't make out the voice either.