Chapter 13: Jimin

I'm standing in front of a mirror in the bathroom. I look in the mirror at myself. I'm irresistible—desirable even without the low-cut shirt and fitting pants. I'm reminded of what these looks can bring and it sickens me.

I have about fifteen more minutes until I go on. The nerves that hit me were supposed to be from yesterday, not today. Taehyung, as much as he means well, screwed up my routine. Now my impression will have to double what I had practiced.

I step outside into the cold night. If I wasn't so damn nervous I might enjoy the view. This might be the only time I'm on a ship anyway. It also might be the only time I'm away from my customers, if that's what you would call it.

"Jimin, what are you doing here?" Yoongi jogs up to me, bundled in a brown coat. "It's freezing out here, and we have to get ready for tonight's performance."

His eyes trace over my exposed shoulders, all the way down and up to my neck before he looks away. That's a first. Usually, others would stare longer or even make an attempt to grab something. I had a feeling Yoongi would look, but I kind of like having his attention on me.

He doesn't look so bad himself. Under the big brown coat that swallows his small frame is a white collar with black dress pants. He reminds me of a small penguin and I do my best to contain my chuckle.

"You look nice," he admits with a soft pink around his cheeks.

I shiver. The wind has picked up and is playing with my hair, strands of it sneak into my mouth. I know this isn't my most graceful moment, but at least it makes Yoongi laugh. His smile reveals small gums above his teeth. How cute.

Yoongi then takes off his coat and steps closer to me. I can smell the sea on him, oddly refreshing compared to the booze that I'm well familiar with. I'm unaware I'm backing up until my waist hits the metal railing, trapping me in front of him.

He reaches around and drapes the coat over me, his hand brushing against my arm. I flinch. I'm not used to touches, especially those I'm not prepared for. The coat is warm, though. It's comforting and big on me, the sleeves loose and open. Like a hug.

"It looked like you were cold," Yoongi says, stepping away. "I'm sorry if I scared you."

I shake my head. "No worries, it's just the wind."

Yoongi stares at me for a moment before turning and leading us into the crystal dining room where the two of us sneak behind the curtains. The guests tonight all sit patiently, even Yoongi finds his roommate Namjoon dining with the Captain.

I freeze. 

The Captain is here? Tonight?

I peek out from the curtain. Yoongi was right. The Captain is sitting in the back row of tables, eating with two older gentlemen and two younger men that are dressed very elegantly, then Namjoon, or who I assumed to be Namjoon, sits beside them in a...different attire. Like a wrong piece of a puzzle.

Focus. I tell myself. This is the time to impress them, don't slip up.

The curtain is pulled back. The lights are shining on me. I hear the piano start and I wait for a moment before following along. I'm drawing their attention just like I'm holding money out. 

All eyes are on me again. I sing like I'm a siren. My voice carries out into the entire room, escaping out the doors into the night. I give it my all, only stopping when I hear the room burst in applause. 

Everyone cheers. The Captain is impressed. Yoongi is smiling.

And I force myself to stay put for five more songs.