Chapter 35: Jungkook

I hear the rushing water long before I see it. The third class is dismissed as the first and second classes all gather on the deck, waiting anxiously for the lifeboats to start boarding passengers. This is a reminder of how the third class will always be disregarded, and how I have little time left to find Taehyung amidst this chaos.

I wonder if Yoongi has found Jimin yet. By the looks of things, he is not the culprit. Yoongi had plenty of opportunities to have Jimin to himself. If he wanted to kill him, he would have done so. Still, there had to be someone who deliberately messed with the drinks.

As I unravel my way out of the tangled mess of guests, I travel up a set of stairs that overlooks the forecastle deck. There's a few groups scattered about, though not nearly as crowded. I take my time checking every inch of the deck and when I find nothing, I loop around again.

I'm going to drive myself mad. With every turn I take and every door I open, I feel as though I'll never return the same way. The labyrinth of hallways seems to continue for miles as I trek ahead. I don't have time to be taking a tour, I need to find Taehyung, and fast.

Just as I pass the wheelhouse, something catches my eye. Through the iced over window, I spot Aster Johnsson's jacket lying on the floor. With the way he presents himself accordingly, I would have thought he was at least tidy.

Out of habit and curiosity, I crack open the door and step inside. It's dreadfully quiet as I enter. The walls are medicine white, though in the dark, it's just a dark black. I stretch my hands out in search of light. I stop when I find a desk lamp and ignite the flame.

That helps brighten up the room, but when I see Aster Johnsson's jacket move, I feel my entire body go numb with fear. The jacket moves lazily from left to right until a hand pops out from underneath and pulls the jacket off.

Taehyung's head appears.

I don't hear what he asks because I leap into his arms and press my lips to his. I'm thankful that this room has a door. Even though I am willing to admit to Taehyung, and to myself that I am gay, I also know the risks. If any officer outside saw us at this moment, both of us would be thrown overboard.

Taehyung's breath hitches on my neck as he breaks off the kiss. "Did the Titanic hit anything?" he says.

"Yes, it hit an iceberg," I answer. His face falls. Obviously this is a tragedy, but this seems to strike somewhere in Taehyung's core. "Why are you here? I thought you were going after Yoongi?"

"I was!" Taehyung says loudly. He is shocked as well at his tone. He runs a hand through his hair and tugs at the split ends, like he's trying to remember something. "I saw Aster Johnsson at the wheel. He was steering the ship right for the iceberg, and I couldn't stop him."

How was that possible? Aster Johnsson may be a nosy suck-up to Kim Nam-Jung, but he's no murderer. The guy only puts on a front, like every rich man in the world. But from the way Taehyung is lying on the ground, perfectly hidden from lingering eyes, this had to be done on purpose.

"Did he cause the ship to crash into that iceberg?" I ask.

Taehyung sniffles. "No, that was my fault. When I found out what his plan was, I tried to steer the ship back to normal. I swear, I tried to get us to safety, but he beat me to it—literally."

The bruises and black eye tell me he's not lying. My instincts tell me to hunt down Aster Johnsson, but I push down the urge and focus on Taehyung. "Can you walk?"

"Yes," he breathes. However, when he tries to stand up, I am quick to catch him before he falls. "Okay, I can't walk, but I can stand."

"With my help."

"No, no, this is your weird way of hugging."

I roll my eyes as Taehyung lets out a chuckle. It's nice to hear him laugh, even if it is difficult for him to breathe properly. With every movement, he winces. I've been beaten like this. A bit more painfully, and personally, but I know the feeling of broken ribs more than a professional athlete.

"Jungkook?"

I snap back to reality and realize I've held my hand to Taehyung's cheek. "I'm sorry."

He grabs my hand as I take it away, pressing it to his warm cheek again. "Don't apologize. I just wanted to make sure you were okay." He pauses, seemingly lost in thought for a moment. "Did you ever find Yoongi?"

"Yes, actually, I found him as I was looking for you." As I catch him up with Yoongi's confession of his notebook being about Jimin, and how he had nothing to do with tampering with the drinks, Taehyung's expression grows relieved, then darkens.

I want to comfort him. I want to say anything to bring back his smile, but my mind is turned off. There are no words that I can say that will define what I mean. Instead, I take his cheek and pull him gently to me. Our noses touch so delicately, like snowflakes meeting on the first of winter.

Wordlessly, he tilts his head back. My lips part, and I feel his lips. This is where I belong. This is the home I will live and love for as long as I'm around. My heart beats inside my chest, slow and hard. This is real, he is real. And I will never let him go.

"I love you," I breathe.

In my hand, his lips turn into a grin. "I know."

Cocky bastard. I roll my eyes again, but can't help smiling as he giggles. I never knew how much a single sound from a human could be a lifeline that I crave for. A normal person to someone is my entire world.

"Let me help you up," I say. "Then we'll find Jimin together."