Chapter 27: Jungkook

The guests in the crystal dining room are still on edge, and I don't blame them. Two nights in a row has the performance lost its footing. Now Jimin has lost consciousness and I have lost the distraction I needed to escape.

Kim Nam-Jung is more irritated than concerned at the sudden outburst. 

He is quick to move me, Seokjin, and Namjoon outside to a small table set up with an awning overhead. It's colder than I expected, and when I see that the sun has already set, I remember Taehyung will be waiting for me. I wonder how long he will stay awake.

"I have to help Yoongi," Namjoon says urgently. Seokjin nods, though I clearly see his want to reject the idea of Namjoon running into the panicked mess. Namjoon doesn't take a second to look back for the approval of Kim Nam-Jung, which brings a sour look to the rich man's face.

Regardless, Kim Nam-Jung focuses on Seokjin. He pauses when his eyes catch mine and I read the room that I am not wanted for this conversation.

Thank God.

I return to the crystal dining room, expecting the guests to have filed out by now. Most have not, they wait for direction to evict the premise or stay in their seats for the remainder of dinner. I have noticed Captain Smith is not inside, probably left just as it happened. I can't tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

"Psst!"

I turn around. Wearing a trench coat and a hat that does little help covering the mess of hair that curls out stands Taehyung with a mischievous smile.

I don't know how he hasn't drawn more attention to himself, but I'm glad he isn't cooped up waiting in a room for me. It's selfish, but I will gladly take that title if it means I have Taehyung to myself.

"What are you doing here? Weren't you banned from coming inside?" I whisper.

He moves closer and slides a hand around my shoulders, walking me away from the lingering guests and away from the windows. His touch is gentle, but he presses my back as we walk.

When we reach the far corner of the room undetected, Taehyung stands in front of me facing away from the guests. "I heard Jimin fainted," his tone is hard, and it's scaring me hearing him talk so low. "Where is he?"

I go still. I scan the guests around us. Nobody has Jimin. I was dragged outside by Kim Nam-Jung so fast that I didn't see anything.

"Namjoon went inside to help Yoongi," I offer. "Is he not with them?"

Taehyung takes a quick peek behind his shoulder. "I don't see Namjoon."

"What? He was just here." I search the room and indeed, I cannot find Namjoon. His height would have given him away, but I see nobody tall enough to tower over officials. I worry about what Seokjin will think of when he realizes his companion has gone missing.

Taehyung sighs through closed teeth. "What happened up there?"

Although it was no less than five minutes ago, I have to pause to rewind the whole night. It started with Kim Nam-Jung discussing how he was displeased at Seokjin, although displeased is an understatement. He made a comment to Namjoon regarding his credentials as a journalist when John Aster brought us over drinks and left right as Kim Nam-Jung gave him a glare, no doubt.

Then the pianist, Yoongi, as Namjoon called him, came over. He whispered something in Namjoon's ear and when Namjoon waved him off, Yoongi took two of the glasses off our table and disappeared behind the curtains. I thought of it odd, but the others were preoccupied with staring daggers, so I let it be.

"I don't know," I say. "There was nothing out of the ordinary. The curtains opened up and then Jimin just..."

Taehyung growls. "Jungkook, please. I need to know where he is."