(15) Fruit of the Poisoned Tree | Part 2

It was still morning and Rebekah was tirelessly scrubbing the blood stains on the carpet to little success. I tried telling her to give it a rest, which only made her scrub harder, so I gave up trying.

I was currently sat in the chair previously inhabited by Elijah who was still out, and Klaus was still on the sofa reading, after close examination 'A Poison Tree,' which is certainly not haunting parallels to our family unit.

Not at all.

"Poetry about poisoned apples from dead trees. Looks like someone's worried about impending daddy-hood." We were both thinking it, Beks, but you didn't have to say it.

Our brother simply shakes his head. "Nonsense. Elijah's back. In his presence, all problems turn to pixie-dust and float away!" We both give him the side-eye at his sass.

At the mention of his name, in walks Elijah carrying a familiar looking book. "Strange, I don't recall any pixie-dust from the darkness of the coffin I was recently forced to endure." As soon as he places the book down, I immediately recognize it as Esther's grimoire.

Rebekah notices it too. "What are you doing with Mother's spellbook?"

"Well, in exchange for my freedom, I promised the witch Davina that I would share a few pages from Mother's grimoire. To help her learn to control her magic. I thought we'd begin with a little unlinking spell." My eldest brother said with the most smugness I'd ever seen from him.

Oh...

Oh!

I couldn't stop the laughter as it dawned on me. "Elijah, you really are the smart one. Bloody brilliant!" Klaus and Rebekah looked at me skeptically. "Think about it."

Rebekah was stunned. "Wait, you want to use her to unlink Hayley from Sophie Deveraux?"

"There it is!"

Elijah nods. "Sophie brought us here under false pretenses. She doesn't just want us to take down Marcel and his minions, she wants to take Davina back. So, she yolked her own cause to ours with magic, threats, and half-truths. Well, no more. As of now, our deal with Sophie Deveraux is null and void." Fuck yes! Wasn't even a part of the deal anyway, so there's no guilt from me! We all take a moment at the thought of being out from under the witches boot. "Niklaus, I need you to come with me. I need five minutes alone with Davina. You need to make certain that I am not interrupted." He ponders his next words as he stares at Beks and me. "You stay here and watch Hayley." Story of my fucking life.

Rebekah is not too pleased. "How did I get elected super-nanny?" She has the audacity to complain after constantly shunting the job onto me.

Klaus is also looking upset. "More importantly, who put him in charge?"

"Welcome to the last few months of my life, you two. I hope you have as much fun as I did." And with that, I make my way towards the door.

"And where, pray tell, are you going?" Elijah shouts after me.

"There's someone I have business with in the Quarter. You may know him, we raised him for centuries if you've forgotten."

At my response, Klaus shoots up. "What business could you possibly have with Marcel?"

"That's my concern and has no relation to your grand coup, so leave it be! You should be thanking me, I'm the perfect distraction for your talk with Davina. It is my only job besides looking after Hayley." When no one questions me further, I take my exit and dial his number I acquired from Klaus.

"Hello Marcellus! Are you terribly busy today?"

><><><><

Calling Marcellus before walking into the Quarter was a must. I want him to trust me, and not to stab a knife in his back.