(43) From a Cradle to a Grave | Part 2

It wouldn't be a Mikaelson interrogation with some good shackling. Elijah and I were restraining Genevieve while Hayley looked on in fury.

There were a million things to say, but we gave the soon to be hybrid the first words considering she has definitely gone through the most in the last twenty four hours. "Why?" Such a simple question seems to be all she wants to know.

Genevieve looked away. "The Ancestors left me no choice-"

I slammed my hand which made a loud clattering. "How are we the monsters?! How does that make sense?"

Hayley was fuming. "You were willing to sacrifice an innocent baby for more power?"

I laugh. "That's what they do. They murdered four teenagers for fucks sake. All decorum is out the bloody window!"

Genevieve quickly shook her head. "No, not just power! It was the Ancestors' decree. It was her decree."

I slam her neck into the wall. "You are poison. A fucking scourge on human decency. If you think your family ghosts are scary, you need to start opening your eyes!" She started choking as I pressed down harder as anger took over. "A fucking baby? You agreed to kill a baby because a bunch of dead witches told you to? And you think that makes you righteous. I should have killed you in that bloody sanitarium."

"Talia!" I turn around at his voice. "We still need answers." I sigh as I let her go. "Do try to control your anger."

"After what you put me through today, politely shut the fuck up, brother." He raises his hand as he approaches Genevieve.

Elijah grabs her face. "It was whose degree?"

Genevieve gives a weak smile. "I'm surprised you have to ask. After all, you were the one who convinced your siblings to consecrate her on New Orleans soil."

He lets go of her as we stare in realization, horror, and disgust.

Hayley looks at us with wide eyes. "Esther."

Our mother. Our horrible, wicked mother.

I knew we shouldn't have consecrated her! But Rebekah was the only one fighting and she lost. Granted, we had little options left and doing so momentarily saved this city. Now we get to see how much it was worth it.

Kill a demon today, face the devil tomorrow.

Elijah looked down. "So, not even death can stop our mother from seeking the annihilation of her own flesh and blood."

I shake my head. "She realized there was a new member of the family who hasn't experienced her attempted murder."

Genevieve started to cry in panic. "This isn't the end. As long as that child lives, the witches of New Orleans will never stop coming for it. Esther will never stop coming for it. It has been decreed-your baby will be consecrated among her ancestors. She will not live."

I lunge for her but get pulled back into the arms of my brother. "I will personally rain hellfire on any of your people who try to harm a hair on my niece's head! It will be the end of witches in New Orleans, trust me!"

She flinches back before blood starts running down her cheeks like tears. "They're coming for me, I can feel it. I failed them. Understand-I just wanted to live. Tell Klaus...I'm sorry."

I roll my eyes. "You still think Niklaus gives a damn about you? You were a means to an end, and much like with Rebekah a century ago the only reason you stayed in our graces was because you were too gullible and willing to do what we say to kill you and find another witch. You were a means to an end in your last life as you are in this one. And you will be meeting a fairly similarly painful end. Goodbye, Genevieve."