(55) The Brothers That Care Forgot | Part 1

My mother has done a number of despicable actions against me, but never did I think her web of lies and deceit would transcend even her own children.

She lied to her husband and had an affair which altered the turn of fate itself it seems.

And now I've learned that she also lied about a surprise aunt that I didn't even know existed until yesterday. But apparently she fucked over her own daughter out of fear of this woman.

She has manipulated Finn to the point where the poor man didn't know who he was without her.

And she was using Kol by playing on his desire for attention.

As if I needed anymore proof that my mother was pure evil.

But today isn't about Esther Mikaelson. No, Elijah was safe and sound after days of uncertainty, Finn and Kol were back under our roof albeit against their wills, and Mikael was still nowhere in sight. This was a good day! Or at least better than it's been.

I had decided to bring up breakfast for my older brother. Even though vampires don't eat food, I brought him some of that too. I will admit I have ulterior motives with this. I want to have a nice long conversation about what exactly our mother put him through during captivity.

Elijah always does everything in his power to take care of us. I need to do the same. Even if he refuses to admit he's struggling.

I carefully knock on his door and wait. "Enter." I smile as I push open the doors. I have spent way more time in Elijah's room than in the past few centuries combined. "Is there something you needed, Talia?"

I gulp. "I wanted to have a word with you."

He nods. "Yes, I would like to do the same. Firstly, I would like to apologize for my absence in a time of great need. I cannot imagine what you and Niklaus had to endure alone."

I shook my head. "We managed. But, Elijah, don't you fucking dare apologize for getting kidnapped. I know it's on brand, but I am not condoning it. We're just glad you're home. And safe."

Elijah smiled at me. "Thank you both for your assistance. I would not have gotten out of mother's trick if not for your ingenuity. But while we are on the topic of mother, I would like for you to go into detail about what she did to you. Niklaus informed me of the little you told him. Did she say something?"

I snort. "She said a lot of things, brother. Called me sick, a curse, always destined to be broken. Insinuated that I ruined her hopes and dreams because I wasn't like Freya. The usual. She tried to blame me for expediting her grief. Yet at the end of it, telling me that I tie my happiness to you all and that will ensure my own destruction. So nothing outlandish."

My brother does not hesitate to pull me into his arms. "You know you are not a curse. Talia, you are a blessing for all of us. You are not sick because of who you love. There is nothing wrong with you." I like to jokingly give him shit about being the last one of our siblings to accept the gay thing, besides Finn of course. But I do hope he knows I've moved past it.

I lift my chin. "What did you see? What did mother show you? Because she showed me something dark and knowing her twisted mind she had something special planned for you."

Elijah let out a shaky breath. "Did she show you something from your dark past? Something you choose to forget?"

I snort. "Brother, I don't know how many times you have to hear this. You are not Nik. You're a monster, but you're an honorable monster. Whatever mother has gotten you on, I assure you it isn't anything I haven't seen before. And no. Mother showed me a secret from her own dark past to guilt trip me more into feeling worthless enough to take her deal."