(36) The Big Uneasy | Part 1

Waking up, I felt more blissful than I ever had in my life.

Cami stirred as the sun pooled in from behind the curtains.

I laugh quietly. "Really living up to your nickname, eh?"

She hummed. "You really stayed the whole night."

"Of course. You asked me to." I squeeze our hands together which have been locked since last night.

"And would you do anything I asked?" She smiled coyly.

I pondered. "Within limits." And I swoop down to give her a peck on the lips.

As I walk into her kitchen area to retrieve some ailment for her inevitable hangover, I hear Josh whistling. "Well, you two must have had a fun night."

I shake my head. "Please. She was deeply intoxicated, Joshua. What do you take me for?"

He laughs. "I was only joking. But you stayed with her all night and comforted her? How romantic..."

I glare. "Oh, I can't wait for you to find yourself a man. You'll never hear the end of it."

"I look forward to it." He smiles. "So what's on the agenda for today?"

I groan. "I need to catch up with my brothers. Elijah's trusting Klaus a bit too much and I can't shake the feeling he's up to something."

"Yeah. This is Klaus we're talking about." The vampire agrees. "So what, you're gonna stop him? I thought you weren't getting involved anymore?"

"That doesn't mean I can't give some sisterly advice to my idiotic brothers." I grab some medicine and a glass of water. "I'm delivering this to my sunshine before I go. Look after her and yourself, Joshua. I will try to visit again soon." He gives me a salut and I'm off.

What is this feeling? Could it be happiness?

><><><><

"What the fuck are you idiots doing?!" I shout over the loud jackhammer that found its way into the compound. "I was only gone a bloody night!"

"Sister!" I hear the fake cheeriness I've come to expect from my big brother's sass. "I see you have once again blessed us with your presence. As you were absent from last night's events, I had time to think. In doing so I concluded that with the new change coming to the French Quarter, a new atmosphere was in order."

"That included tearing down the walls?" I asked, not buying his excuses. "Someone is not gonna be happy when he wakes up."

"Yes, I've grown rather tired of seeing Marcellus' lack of creativity strewn about."

"Hey! I rather liked the vines." I defended my boy.

"Nevertheless, change is inevitable. And you have made your lack of involvement quite clear." He wants to be that way? Fine!

"Enough with all the racket!" There he is.

"The princess has awoken." I announced with a snicker. I lean towards Elijah. "Told you so."

He rolls his eyes. "Is there a problem, brother?" He turns to the compelled workers. "Gentlemen, please."

"I agreed to a general sprucing up, not a bloody three-ring circus." I bit back a laugh.

"Someone didn't get their full beauty sleep. Was too busy doing other-"

"You, sister, can shut your bloody mouth! When did you get back?" He cut me off.

"Just now." I deadpan.

Elijah thankfully spoke up. "Marcel and his minions abused our home for the better part of a century. Now, you might be content to live in squalor. I'm not."