(16) Fruit of the Poisoned Tree | Part 3

"You know, after your speech to Sophie I would've thought we'd be speeding to the church as soon as possible. I've never known our brother to hold off on killing someone for too long. Clearly learned nothing of delayed gratification."

"Niklaus will wait. In the meantime, I appreciate clothes not dripping in water, thank you." He was trying to hold back a grin.

"Of course! Need to look your best for the dramatic reveal. I can only imagine what Klaus' face will be when he learns everyone gets to kill except for him. If he agrees that is..."

"He will follow my lead, as he has all day." I do have to admit, him bending to Elijah has been the most amusing part of this never ending day.

"What do you suppose he's up to with that?" That being said, I don't trust it.

"Perhaps he's feeling remorse for the dagger situation and merely wishes to make amends." Of course he'd think that.

"And when have you known our brother to be apologetic to any of us?"

"Niklaus finds a way to apologize in his own way."

"A way that ensures we never actually hear the words 'I'm sorry.' That would be too much!"

Elijah finally turns to me. "You're too hard on him."

"Only because you're too easy."

He smiles. "I haven't forgiven him yet."

"Yes you have. And he knows it."

But I never heard Elijah's response as in walks our little sister.

She smiles. "The unlinking worked! Maybe now we can make plans-" but Elijah cut her off.

"Not now, Rebekah. Can we discuss this when we return?" I had no idea what they were talking about.

My older brother beckoned me to follow him, but we were stopped abruptly by our sister's words.

"I won't be here when you return." No. I thought I had more time.

Elijah gives a look of concern. "That sounds like a goodbye."

Rebekah nods. "...I guess it is. I only came to New Orleans to make sure you were safe. You are. I thought that I might be able to convince you to come with me, but here you are, rushing into whatever Klaus and Marcel and the witches have cooked up. And I finally get it." She started tearing up and I felt the pull to hold my baby sister. "You'll never leave this city. You'll never leave Klaus."

Her revelation broke my heart. More so with the knowledge I would have to tell her.

Elijah gave her a look of sadness. "Then you should stay." I wish that were the case.

She shakes her head. "This thing that you and Klaus and Marcel have, I want no part of it." The tears ran down her cheeks as I moved to rub circles on her back. "I just want to be free."

Our brother walks over to her sadly. "Well, then, go." He kisses her on the cheek. "You are free."

He moves to leave, but before I could join him Rebekah pulls on my arm. "You're staying too, aren't you?"

I could feel my body tensing up at the subject. "Can we not talk about this now?"

"I'm leaving now, no better time for this! Are you coming with me or staying with the boys?"

I could feel the tears building up, and the urgency of the situation was only adding more stress. "You know I would follow you anywhere...."

"You want to stay." She concluded.