(40) A Closer Walk With Thee | Part 2

Waking up after the night I had was near impossible. The things I do for my sunshine.

It was next in the funeral proceedings to carry the coffin down the streets of New Orleans while his friends and family join in the walk.

Of course being neither it felt a bit awkward.

The Mikaelson trio were lucky enough to find Hayley joining us again. Most likely to hound us for answers on her pack.

Since that's the only thing she cares about anymore.

The four of us were near the back of the parade, which gave the opportunity for everyone to talk.

Hayley quite literally looked like death. She was flushed and curling in on herself. Even Elijah noticed. "You alright? You look-"

She cut him off. "-A hundred months pregnant and pissed off at the world?"

My brother smiles. "I was going to say you look lovely." I roll my eyes at his subtle flirting as Klaus went on edge.

The pregnant wolf looked up at some woman pretending to wipe at tears with a tissue. I really have missed a lot. "Do you think I was the target of those bombings?"

Klaus smirks. "Of course you were the target! Were I to wage a war on the wolves, you'd be my first kill!" This earns him a glare from the mother of his child. "I would string you up, for all your worshipers to see."

Elijah speaks up. "I believe that was my brother's way of telling you he'd like you to return home with us. Perhaps try a different approach, Niklaus, with fewer references to murder?"

I nod. "One assassination attempt is too many for my liking, especially after the vampire attack right before. Your safety is paramount, and the wolves are quite clearly not enough."

Hayley rolls her eyes. "And more vampire supremacy from you will definitely make me want to go back." I scoff. Please.

"I match the energy I must fight off from your colorful friends. Tell Ollie I owe him a broken jaw."

Klaus cuts off any rebuttal by placing his around around her shoulder. "As much as I would hate to throw you over my shoulder, and drag you kicking and screaming to the compound, we both know I will-for the sake of my child."

Hayley sigh's exasperated. "One bad dream, and suddenly, you want to be a responsible daddy!"

My brother's patience evaporates. "Let me put this into perspective: my father lived to torment me. It is not my intention to become him. This cycle of misery ends with my child."

Hayley hums as she yanks his arm from her. "You forgot one thing in your little attempt to plead your case-she's not your child. She's ours." And she storms off.

I look at him. "When I told you to talk to her, that's not what I meant."

He shrugs. "I did my best."

I shake my head. "You're saying this to the sister you've been with a thousand years. Your best is much better than that. And you haven't done it in centuries. Perhaps fatherhood is a good enough reason to bring him out of retirement."

Elijah laughs. "Very heartfelt, Niklaus."

Klaus groans. "I bloody hate funerals."

As we continue walking in silence, Elijah turns to me. "How did you sleep last night?"

My mind stops. "Why do you ask?"

He placed a hand on my shoulder. "I heard you." Fuck! "Was it father again?"

I shook my head. "No. He didn't visit me. No one did. I called out for our brothers, but they never came."

Elijah gives a sympathetic look. "We're not sure if they can."