(42) From a Cradle to a Grave | Part 1

We were in Hayley's room listening to the baby kick her stomach while I told stories about our family. I had read somewhere that they can hear you from inside the womb.

A question came to mind. "Has Klaus felt her kick yet?"

She laughs. "You think he would get that close to me?"

"I mean, he did once before. That's how we all found ourselves in this predicament." She playfully smacked my head as I laughed. "You know, I haven't seen him so scared than when he thought you were going to die."

She perks up. "Really?"

"Really." I reassure her. "I know he can be closed off with emotions, you deal with that with Elijah too, but when he thought he would lose you and the baby he was terrified. He wants this life, Hayley, and he will be there for you. He just needs a little prompting, which will happen once we have the scamp running around the compound."

She laughs. "Do you really think she'll be a handful?"

I nod. "Respectfully, she is you and Klaus' spawn. It won't be pretty."

She smiles and rubs her belly. "She will be loved, and happy, and safe. That's all I want for her, and I will burn the world down to make it happen."

I take her hand. "Nothing will ever touch you or the baby. Not while I'm around. I'll always keep you safe."

I'm going to kill myself.

Not before I kill every witch in this city, but I like to list out where I see it.

I was being held down by a spell every time I tried to get up. And I was in a constant state of that. Hayley's screams were piercing my soul.

She was screaming for so many reasons. I imagine the realization that these crazy witches were planning to sacrifice her child isn't helping the labor.

She was in labor. She was going to have the baby now. Here. No Klaus. No Elijah. No Rebekah. And I'm on the fucking floor dying from a werewolf bite.

This wasn't how it was supposed to happen. This child was supposed to enter a world of love, family, safety. That's what she wanted. That's what she deserved.

That's what they both deserve, but it couldn't happen anymore. For the rest of her life, this will be the story of her birth.

This is the start of our new family. And now I'm crying uncontrollably.

This was not supposed to happen to her! I know this family has done heinous things and we all probably deserve death at this point. Not this baby.

I had been so terrified for months that this could happen. That our luck would run out and they'd pay the price.

"Let go of me you bitch!" She was still fighting. She's always fighting. Her entire life.

'You promised her safety. You failed her.'

I know. I'm not strong enough.

Hayley's screams are interrupted by the large doors of the church opening. We both look up to see Klaus limping in weakly. What the fuck happened to him? He lunges at one of the guards and rips his head off. I have never seen him this serious. Genevieve and the Harvest Girls grasp hands and lift him off the ground before slamming him against the wall. He screams out as he fights against the power holding him. I take this as my opportunity and use all my strength to lunge at Genevieve. But as I near her, Monique lifts me off the ground and slams me back down.

Great! Now we have two fucking Mikaelsons uselessly flailing around!

As I struggle to get out of her hold, I stare up at Klaus as he is still angrily pushing and screaming. I see a momentary flash of fear cross his eyes as he gazed down at Hayley and myself.