40

There are some *drawings* of "graphic" medical things to explain what they look like and mean. "view with caution" 🙄

Before anyone comments about it, know that I did a shit ton of research. I let her eat before having the Cervidil, there were mixed reviews on what people's doctors let them do and the only thing that might be off is her blood pressure levels, it's hard to find answers on those.

If anything is wrong, blame the videos and medical articles, because I spent hours researching.

*Leighton's POV*

"Look how cute!" Amber squealed, holding my hand in hers. "This color is so pretty on you!" She looked down at the dark nude color that she just finished putting a clear coat over.

"Well guys, this has been fun, love the nails.. and the foot rub.. but I think I'm ready to be alone again" I spoke up, my social battery plummeting.

"Kat and Sam put us on Leigh duty" Colby said for the hundredth time, showing some slight annoyance from me trying to get rid of him.

"I don't need a babysitter"

"Your baby will if you decide to go into labor right now" Amber chimed in, passing me my Goldfish crackers.

"I'm not having this baby. Plus, Gabe comes home today"

"Have you talked to him since he left?" Colby asked and I shook my head.

"I have nothing to say to him. He made his choice"

"Alright.. well.. let's take your blood pressure" Colby grabbed the machine, Amber holding it whilst he put the cuff around my arm.

"Do you have your chart?" He asked and I nodded, reaching for my phone. "I took a photo of it"

I felt the cuff tighten around my bicep as we waited for the reading, my hand running over where my baby was moving.

"Okay you're blood pressure is 160/100" Colby read off and I went down the chart, my eyes widening.

"Fuck! Where's my phone?!" I spoke frantically and Colby gave me a really look.

"It's in your hand" He said and I glanced down, quickly opening up my contacts and finding Melinda Hughes.

My fingers tapped as I listened to the dial tone, ignoring their questions.

"Hello?" She answered and my heart raced.

"Dr. Hughes?" I asked, my voice shaking.

"Leighton? Everything okay?" she asked and I quickly shook my head.

"My blood pressure is 160 over 100" I told her, tears welling up in my eyes as fear started to ripple through my body.

Next thing I knew, I was being told to grab my hospital bag and make my way there because I was going to have a baby.

I had hypertension stage 2... one of my biggest fears was coming true.

It got worse.

I know a lot of people say a phone call can change your life.. but it's true. Seconds ago I was getting my nails painted, my feet rubbed and talking with Colby and his friend.. and now I was on the way to the hospital because we didn't want my baby to go into distress.

I didn't even bother telling Colby or Amber as I pulled myself up and waddled towards my room in a frantic way.

As I was digging through my hospital bag, making sure I had everything when it hit me.

Gabriel

"Fuck!" I yelled, not bothering to reply when Colby and Amber asked what was wrong.

"I need to call Gabe, what time is it? He might be on his flight" I spoke my thoughts aloud.