Chapter Five

Three Years After the Accident...

"This ranch has been in my family for over 50 years, and since my father passed away, no one has wanted to take care of it," Claude Lowell, the town mayor, mentioned as he gave Marshall and Sophia a tour of his family's ranch. "It's crumbling as we speak, but if you have time, and the money, it's all yours."

Marshall limped with his cane towards the porch, where the steps creaked, the windows were broken and the roof probably leaked, and admired it. The potential he saw in the house was immense, and he, knowing how much time he would have in his hands, decided this would be his home, one his little sister, now thirteen, deserved.

"What do you think, Phia?" he asked her as she stepped by his side on the porch, looking around at the ceiling, which had probably seen better days.

"I'm not sure, Marshall. The house is falling apart. Are you sure it's the one you want?" she scrunched her nose and hugged herself, feeling her skin prickle at the thought of living in an old, battered home. "What if there are ghosts?"

Marshall laughed–the first time in years–at the joke. "It could be our home. We have bothered Aunt Dolly and Uncle Jacob long enough."

"If you say so. But I get to choose my bedroom, and I want the biggest one."

"Deal, pumpkin."

"Stop calling me that. I'm not a little kid anymore," Sophia scolded, but she giggled, letting it slide. Seeing her brother's eyes glimmer and the excitement pour through them, she knew she couldn't ruin it.

Losing Brooklyn had been a big deal. Not only for him, but for her. She instantly liked her the moment the Evans stepped out of that airplane, and thought she could be the sister she never had.

But things in life don't always work the way one wants, and she had to settle with seeing her brother curse, scream, and even cry in pain and anger, while she tried unsuccessfully to act like the grown up and console him.

Marshall was never the same after that accident, falling into depression, one that had been harder to take him out of, despite the immense support he had from his family and the townsfolk.

"I have nothing better to do, and I don't want to keep wallowing in self-pity. Been doing it for three years, little one. This makes me smile. And knowing we can make it our home makes it all worthy."

Sophia smiled and nodded. "Well, then. Let's take it!"

Marshall turned around to face Claude and limped back towards him, extending his hand to shake. "You have a deal, mayor Lowell. We'll take it."

"Great. We can go to town and talk to my realtor so we can process the documents."

As they made their way to their vehicles to chat a bit more about the house, Sophia snuck away, stepping behind an old rundown barn, taking her cell phone out and making a long distance call.

Waiting for someone to answer, she paced back and forth nervously, making sure Marshall didn't come back to look for her before she could even place the call.

"Hello?" a soft, delicate voice sounded on the other side.

"Hi, it's me again," Sophia said with teary eyes. "How are you?"

A little gasp was heard on the line. "Oh, sweetheart. I am doing well. Why are you still calling me? You'll get in trouble with Marshall."

Brooklyn had a warning tone on her voice, but Sophia knew she was still happy to hear her voice. The bond they shared on those few days three years ago was greater than anything. Even more than her brother's anger.

Sophia loved her brother to the moon and back, but Brooklyn had been an amazing human being, and she loved her even more for that. If only Marshall could see that.

"I don't really care. I miss you, Brooklyn. It's already been too long and you need to come back to us. My brother is miserable. Even if he wants to hide it, I know he misses you, too."

Trying to hold back more tears, she heard a soft cry in the other line, thinking that it might be Abilene calling for her mother's attention.

"Oh, dear. I have to go. Abilene is a bit hungry..."

"You owe me an explanation, Brooks." Sophia blurted, calling her by her nickname for the first time, which she was sure had shocked her. "What happened between you and my brother to keep you from coming? From keeping my niece from me? Why would you do this to us?"

"Sweetheart, you don't understand..."

"No, you don't understand. My brother suffered after his accident. And you being far away didn't help matters." Sophia wiped her eyes from the tears that finally made it out. "But, don't worry. I won't bother you anymore. Good bye, Brooklyn. Have a nice life."

With those final words, Sophia hung the call and put her cell phone in the back pocket of her jeans, sad and disappointed. She only hoped Marshall never found out she had been calling Brooklyn these past three years, and all thanks to Bexley, who after a lot of convincing, finally caved in and gave her the number.

She loved hearing her, but more than anything, loved hearing Abilene laughing and playing in the background as their conversation–which was supposed to last a few minutes and all behind Marshall's back–lasted hours.

Wiping her face once again, she took a deep breath and turned around, only to bump into a hard chest. As she looked up, she saw Marshall standing there, his arms folded on his chest, and his expression sour. She was thankful the cowboy hat covered part of his face, or she would think he had heard her entire conversation.

Something she wouldn't know how to explain.

"Who were you talking to?" he asked, curiously. Sophia feigned ignorance–her eyes still red–and lifted her chin, defiantly, but still holding respect towards him.

"No one," she replied, faking a smile. As she tried to walk around him, he grabbed her arm gently, looking down at her. The corner of his blue eyes were shining with the afternoon sun, and held some warning.

"Don't lie to me, Phia. Tell me..."

"It was no one, okay? Let's just go back home." Sophia stomped away, puffing her cheeks as she hopped into the truck, waiting for Marshall to get in and drive them back to the ranch. With her arms folded on her chest, she wiped another tear from her eye, looking out the window, admiring the beautiful acres of land the ranch held.

Maybe if Brooklyn came back, she could make this her home, too. She would have loved to see Abilene–her niece–run around, giggling and screaming with joy.

She could be there for her when she fell down and cried, calling for her mama, but her auntie kisses could be enough to comfort her.

"I know I will see you again. I just know."

"What?" Marshall asked as he hopped in with difficulty. Sophia shook her head, smiling faintly at him.

"Nothing. Let's just go home."