Chapter Fifteen

Abilene skipped excitedly by Marshall's side, her little boots making crunching noises on the pavement as they made their way towards the barn to feed the horses. Brooklyn observed them from the porch, and many thoughts came to her mind. What if this could be their forever life? What if Marshall could welcome them in his home and be a family?

It was too much to hope, but Abilene would be the happiest girl in the world. They arrived the day before and her daughter was already loving the ranch. She was already thinking of the many things she could do here if they were to stay.

Taking a sip of the coffee, she hadn't realized Sophia had rushed past her, wearing a hat and work boots. She was heading to the fields to overlook the crops as it was her duty.

"Have a good day in the house, Brooklyn," she said dryly, which was getting harder to stand each minute. The girl was upset, and she had every right to, but she wanted to get through to her. She loved Sophia too much to let her be mad forever.

Inside the barn, Marshall grabbed a pail, filling it with the feed for the horses while Abilene watched attentively, smiling from ear to ear the entire time. It amused him and somewhat reminded him of Sophia at that age. How eager she was to help around the ranch.

Now, she had other interests, and he wanted to know which ones. He only hoped besides spending too much time with old man Gilligan, she wasn't interested in boys yet. Knowing that time would eventually come, he shuddered, for he also knew she was not a little girl and soon she would leave the ranch to start her own life.

If she owned the hardware store, there could be a chance she stayed. That made him hopeful, but even if she left, he had this little girl to keep him company and make him feel joyful.

His daughter. The one he had lost part of her life. But now he had the chance to enjoy her presence. It made him smile, and found himself wishing they didn't go back to Italy.

"Be a family forever," he muttered to himself.

"What was that?" Abilene asked, her eyes as big as saucers and her smile still present on her face.

"Nothing, Sugar Bug. Just thinking out loud," he replied with a smile, the crinkle in his eyes well pronounced. As he lifted the pail–which was now full of the feed–he let out a small groan, the pain on his leg feeling uncomfortable as he limped towards the horse stall.

"Let me help you," Abilene grabbed the other end of the pail, walking with him–thinking she was pulling her own weight–as they approached the horses. She was adorable in his eyes, and even now he had given her a nickname.

What is going on with me? They arrived yesterday and I barely know this girl. Why do I feel the need to just hug and kiss her? Why do I feel the need to protect her, just as I had her mother years ago?

"What are their names?" Abilene asked, curiously. "If I'm going to help around, I need to learn how they're called."

Marshall chuckled, hanging the pail on the stall, proceeding to doing the same routine for the other four horses.

"Well, the one we just gave feed to is called Armor, as he's the toughest one," he said, referring to the black quarter horse–who had a white spot on one of his legs–something Marshall loved about him.

"The one next to him is called Clara, she's our only mare and she's another quarter horse," he pointed at the golden mare with a white spot on her forelock. "Thinking of getting more."

"What is a mare?" Abilene frowned in confusion.

"It's a female horse," Marshall chuckled, which surprised him to find himself doing that a lot since this morning, and he guessed he had to credit Abilene for being in such a good mood.

"Oh, okay," she giggled. "And that one? It's beautiful!" She pointed at the appaloosa, "Looks like a dalmatian puppy."

"He does, doesn't he? His name is Tabasco, because he has quite the hot temper. He won't let anyone near him unless it's me."

"I bet he can get along with me," Abilene said confidently as she stared at the horse in his eyes, studying him. "He's my favorite already. Could I have a horse?"

"Well, they're all adults, and you need to learn to take care of one, but Clara here is having a foal soon, so maybe that one can be yours?"

Abilene squealed in excitement, running to him to wrap her little arms around his waist, hugging him tightly. "Thank you, Daddy!"

Another stab to his chest and he would fall dead at her feet. Hearing that word was still something he wasn't used to, but he could, and that simple thought made his heart melt. A simple touch from her and he was done for.

"Well, let me show you the other three," he said as she pulled away, leading her to the two horses at the end of the barn. "These are Bronze and Wrangler. I helped my father round them up and tame them. They're a bit old, but still strong."

They were beautiful Mustangs, one golden with black mane, and the second one was a black stallion with a long mane and tail, and exuded power. As if he was the leader of the herd.

Staring straight at Abilene's eyes, he neighed softly, leaning his head to reach for her. Not able to contain herself, she raised her hand and caressed his forelock, loving the sweet affection the horse was returning her, nuzzling his nose on her cheek and nibbling at her hat, making her giggle.

"Daddy?" she called.

"Yes, Sugar Bug?" he cleared his throat, feeling suddenly self-aware of his reaction.

"Will you forgive Mama one day? She didn't mean to hide you from me, but she is sorry. Please, forgive her?" she said with pleading eyes.

"I will, but for now, let's feed the horses."

"She always talked about you and how wonderful you are. Even showed me all your videos. She loves you, Daddy. She really loves you."

Finding himself out of air, he dropped the pail on the floor and headed out the door, reaching for the nearest fence before he was able to hold onto it. Tears threatened to roll down his cheeks and he fought hard to keep them at bay.

Not now, please. Not now, he thought as his heart started to beat rapidly. He couldn't feel what he was for Brooklyn now. He needed to teach her a lesson, needed to let her feel what he felt all those years without her.

But Abilene. Oh, Abilene was making it hard on him already. She was trying to steal his heart and succeeding. No, he couldn't fall for it. He needed to be strong.

"Did I say something wrong? Sorry to upset you," Abilene found herself behind him, tears flowing as she felt guilty for upsetting him. Turning to face her, he shook his head and smiled reassuringly.

"No, you didn't. Just caught me by surprise, that's all."

"Well, why did you leave the barn like that?" she asked, curiously. Marshall crouched with difficulty in front of her, looking into her eyes that mirrored his and sighed.

"Because things between your mother and I are a bit complicated. But, if I were to tell you a secret, would you keep it?"

"Of course," she smiled, relieved that he wasn't mad at her.

Taking a deep breath, he confessed. "I still love your mother. I always have."