Chapter Nineteen

Those words drilled into his brain like the echo of the crowd cheering down on him as he walked into the barn once again, the adrenaline hitting him without notice.

"Don't ignore me, Redd," Brooklyn's voice sounded challenging, and as she stood at the doorway in the barn, raising an eyebrow at him, he felt the urge to pick her up in his arms and kiss her.

"Be careful what you wish for, Miss Evans," he tried to keep his distance, but her perfume was overwhelming him, and he didn't know he would be able to hold himself back.

"What I wish for right now are your lips on mine. Release that pent up anger on me if you want. Unless you have lost your touch," Brooklyn thought she was crazy for even suggesting such a thing. She didn't come here to flirt or end up under him in bed. She came here so Abilene could meet her family.

She was playing with fire, and she knew it. But... The heck with it.

Being challenged was not something Marshall appreciated, and hearing her take her stance and think she could come to his home to be demanding, didn't really sit well with him. Although her offer was tempting.

"Brooklyn, it's better if you go back to the house. Abilene must be looking for you."

"I am sure Sophia is with her. But you and I need to clear the air once and for all. If not for me, for our daughter."

Marshall leaned against the wall of one of the stalls, just like he had done earlier and took a deep breath. This woman was getting on his last nerve, and he was afraid he would do something he regretted.

Lost in those amazing thoughts of that Christmas week, he smiled, as it had been the most wonderful week in his life. Meeting her was like meeting the calm after the storm. Especially after what his ex had done. His heart had been broken, and Brooklyn in just such a short time, had healed it.

Only to break it again.

He felt a warm, soft hand on his forearm, pleadingly looking at him. He remembered those eyes; large, beautiful blue eyes. Begging to be loved and cherished. Begging to be wanted.

"Brooklyn, please..."

"No, Marshall. Like I have told you before. I am already going crazy, and when you kissed me, I felt my heart skip many beats. I missed your touch and your lips," she raised her hand to run them over his plump lips, the same ones that made her cry with pleasure at the hayloft. "I am not over you. I still love you."

"Stop it..."

"I don't care if you don't want to hear it. But I still do, and seeing you again had proven it."

Marshall's breathing turned heavier, debating whether to pull away from her or let her touch him further. Feeling her fingers on his lips brought up a warm sensation in his body, and he wanted more of it. He wanted more of her.

With a groan of frustration, he turned to face her, and wrapping his arms around her, he claimed her lips once again, this time with more fervor than he had kissed her in the kitchen.

"I hate you, Brooklyn. I am supposed to make your life miserable. What the hell are you doing?" He kissed her again, pressing her against his body, as she clearly felt how much she was affecting him. Brooklyn wrapped her arms around his neck just at the time he lifted her, walking towards his empty office before he closed the door, locking it behind him.

"You are evil, and you deserve to be hated, Brooklyn."

"You don't hate me, and we both know it. And you fell in love with our daughter, I can see it in your eyes. She already dug herself deep inside your heart."

"She has, and she's the most beautiful thing we have ever created."

"Yes, she is. And she's ours."

Looking into her eyes, he surprised himself when he smiled at her, claiming her lips once again as he laid her down on a leather couch at the corner of his office, swiftly getting rid of his shirt while she worked on hers, followed by her jeans, leaving her only in her underwear.

Admiring her figure, which was a bit curvier after having Abilene, he was still turned on and wanted to explore every inch and corner of her body.

"You're still as beautiful as ever," he whispered as he ran his hand down her exposed belly, at the same time Brooklyn worked on his belt, pushing his jeans down, exposing his boxers, which made her giggle, covering her mouth at the realization that she was making fun of him.

"You're laughing at me?" he asked as she shook her head, letting out another fit of giggles.

"No, I think your pony boxers are cute. You're cute."

There was fire in their eyes, dormant passion that needed release and the urge to belong to each other once again.

Ignoring her comment, with one last swift motion, her undergarments were gone, and they were both naked on the couch, kissing each other fervently, touching each other hungrily, and exploring what they had been missing all those years.

"Make love to me, Marshall. I want you," she pleaded in a whisper as he settled himself, sliding in, earning a moan from her. "I missed this," she added.

Their bodies moved in tandem, wildly feeding their hungry desires, and letting the time run by. Just like she had remembered back then, he was satisfying her in ways no other man could.

Not even Michael.

Marshall's lips ran down her collarbone, ending on her breasts, her nipples being victims of such attack as he kept moving ferociously in her while more sounds of her moans kept encouraging him to go further.

For what seemed like forever, which neither of them minded, they reached their peak, ending their passionate encounter with fireworks of emotions as they softly kissed each other, slowly coming down from that cliff.

They have jumped together, risking it all.

"I love you, Marshall," she whispered with a smile, caressing his cheek. At that moment, he came to the realization of what they had done and pulled back just as quickly as he had given into the moment.

"This was a mistake, Brooklyn. It shouldn't have happened." He grabbed her clothes and handed them to her, putting his clothes and boots on before he stood by the window of his office, looking out at the sunny sky.

Brooklyn slowly got dressed, feeling ashamed at the way she acted, but it had seemed like he wanted it too.

"You regret it, don't you?" she asked as she put her shoes on, fixing her curls back into the ponytail she had on earlier.

A moment of silence seemed like it would answer her question, but what he said next shocked her. "No, Brooklyn. I don't regret it, and that's what scares me."

"Why does it scare you?" she asked, curiously as he turned back to look at her.

"What scares me is that after I give my heart to you once again, you will just break it and leave, like you did last time. It scares me that after trying to forget you, after trying to hate you, you just appear out of nowhere, making me crazy."

He sighed, running his hands through his hair.

"That after this week, I would be left alone, without you... or our daughter."