Chapter Forty-Two

After the event, Marshall had taken the time to walk on the halls that were once the home for many bull riders through the years. Seeing pictures on the walls made him feel a slight nostalgia, and he knew that would never be his life.

But the accident was in part a blessing. Now he could focus on living his life with his fiancée and his daughter. A happy future.

After greeting everyone, from the riders, to the crew and chatting shortly with them, they were ready to head home. It had been a fun night, but also a long one and it was time they called it.

"Why don't we go to Dixie's Bar and celebrate. Just us," Jeremiah suggested, wrapping his arm around his wife, who nodded in agreement.

"Jezzah's right. We haven't gone out in forever. Maybe we can have Sophia and Jonah babysit Abilene for a bit?" Bexley mentioned.

"No need. We got this. You go ahead and have fun. We'll go home." Sophia said with a smile, pulling Jonah and Abilene out of the arena, leaving the adults to have their night while she planned to have movie night with her boyfriend and her niece, snuggling on the couch while eating popcorn.

"I guess that's the answer," Brooklyn chuckled, wrapping her arms around Marshall's neck. "What do you say, cowboy? Ready for some fun."

"Sugar, you and Bexley can't drink."

"Come on, Marshall. It's not like the bar doesn't have soda or water. Don't be a sourpuss and let's go." Bexley pulled Jeremiah by the hand and they all made their way to their trucks, heading to Dixie's to have the time of their lives.

As soon as they walked into the bar, the crowded place was full of life. Loud music and laughter echoed in the walls, making Brooklyn smile. She hadn't had a fun time in years, and she was ready to spoil herself. She knew Abilene was in good hands with her aunt, and for now, she wanted to just enjoy herself and her man.

All night by Brothers Osborne played on the speakers, and the catchy music was all she needed to start dancing... all night.

Squeezing through the people, they made it to the dance floor, Brooklyn quickly pressing her body against Marshall's, with sexy moves while he just stood there with his hands on her hips, chuckling shyly while she kept moving, flirting in the middle of the dance floor.

Marshall had two left feet when it came to dancing, so he decided to let his woman do the talking with her body, still swaying close to him, making him show how much he desired her right at that moment.

"Marshall! We're in a public place," she teased, when a slow romantic song played and she wrapped her arms on his neck, swaying side to side, looking into each other's eyes, showing the love they had always had for each other. From the moment they met, and even years later, they still had feelings that no one could beat.

"You're mine forever. Right?" she asked with a soft expression on her face.

"I'm yours forever, Sugar. Don't ever doubt that."

~~~~~~

The night was quickly turning and the patrons were making their way out the door, ready to go to their homes and sleep the entire day.

Marshall decided to grab one last beer and headed towards the bar, asking the bartender to serve him a cold one. While he waited, he felt uneasy and as he turned to look at the table where Brooklyn was, he felt a hand on his shoulder.

"Hello, cowboy. Having fun?" Cassie blinked, taking a sip of a longneck. Her hair was down in her usual waves, her eyes glossy from possibly drunkenness, and her lipstick smeared on her face, as if she had made out with someone in the dark.

"What do you want?" Marshall asked, hoping the bartender hurried with his beer. What was taking him so long?

"I just wanted to say hi. And ask how is everything going with your fiancée? I heard Lexie is pregnant too. Is it yours as well?"

"What the hell are you talking about? Get away from me," he snapped, ready to forget about the beer when the bartender set it on the bar, apologizing for the delay as they had run out of what he knew was his favorite.

Cassie grabbed his arm and turned her to face him, pouting her lips. "Don't leave me hanging. I'm sure your woman will be okay without you for a few minutes. I just want to say a few last words and will leave you alone."

Marshall knew it was wrong to entertain the idea of even talking to Cassie, but if it was the last he would see of her, so be it.

"I told you I didn't want to see you around."

"I know, but this is a small town. We're bound to see each other, whether we like it or not. But, let's not be enemies. I just want to be friends."

Marshall was deeply distracted, not noticing the man sneaking behind him, while Cassie stared at his tall figure quickly before she looked at him again after he was gone.

"Well, if that's all you need to say, I will leave." He grabbed his beer and lifted it. "Have a good life, Cassandra." he said, calling her by her full name, something she hated, especially when it was him calling her like that. But with a forced smile, she waved goodbye.

The man from earlier stood by her side, both of them looking at Marshall sip his drink as he made his way towards the table. It hadn't been long when he started to feel strange, his vision was blurred and he was losing the feeling on his limbs.

Feeling nauseous, he headed back to the bathroom, but didn't make it far when his vision had gone dark, making him lose consciousness.

Brooklyn looked at the watch on her wrist, concerned. "It has been over half an hour. It shouldn't take this long to get a drink when everyone is leaving."

"Maybe he went outside to get some fresh air," Jeremiah said, kissing Bexley's temple as he rubbed her belly.

"No, something's wrong," Brooklyn replied, standing from the chair, when she received a message from Marshall's phone. An image. Hitting her password, she opened the picture, her heart beating fast while tears brimmed from her eyes.

In it, Marshall laid on the bed of his truck, his eyes closed. His shirt was off and his pants were unbuttoned. Next to him was Cassie leaning her head on his shoulder, naked and with a big smile on her face while her hair was splayed all over his arm and chest.

"No," she whispered, covering her mouth.

"What is it?" Bexley asked as she grabbed the phone from her sister. "That bi..." She composed herself. "Oh, Brooks. Don't believe this."

"What shouldn't I believe? It's Marshall laying almost naked with his ex. How could he do this to me?"

"I doubt Marshall would do this to you." Jeremiah said as he studied the picture, not making any sense of it. "Marshall is not like that."

"Of course not. So, him kicking her out of his ranch was just a lie. He wanted to pretend to hate her, while proposing to me. Maybe he's just playing with me."

"Now, Brooks. Don't get ahead of things."

Brooklyn shook her head as she just grabbed her phone back, urging her sister and brother-in-law to take her to the ranch as she didn't want to see Marshall.

"Brooklyn, let's wait for him to come back and talk to us."

"No. He's too busy. Let's go home."