Chapter Thirty-Seven

The bull slowly moved back and forth while the couple moved along with it, remembering that wonderful night they had spent together, making love until dawn.

Marshall wrapped his arm around Brooklyn, holding her steady while he peppered her neck with kisses. He loved that woman, and even being angry at her for leaving, his heart still yearned for her and hoped that one day she would come back to him.

And she did.

God had answered his prayers, which had been surprising for him, as he was not a religious man, but he brought her and he was determined to never let anything keep them apart.

"This is nice," she smiled as she held onto the saddle, the bull lightly picking up speed. "Stop hitting that button, Marshall!" she giggled loudly while they twirled around, the machine threatening to knock them off, but they held on until the end, Marshall bringing the bull to a stop.

"It brings great memories," he whispered, kissing her shoulder, feeling her soft hand caress his cheek.

"Many great ones, and not so great. But I still cherish them. I had, every single day of my life. I never stopped thinking about you," she replied, turning her face to look at him, their lips brushing before they both sealed such a sweet moment with a kiss.

"This might not be the most romantic place, but it's the most memorable for me," Marshall mentioned as he reached into the pocket of his flannel shirt, taking out a small lavender box. He held it in front of her, and he could swear he could hear her heartbeat. Or was it his?

"Marshall," she gasped; her breath hitched as she covered her mouth with her hands, and her eyes stung, forcing her to blink the tears away.

"I am not the most romantic of men, Brooklyn, but I hope this shows how much you mean to me and..." he cleared his throat, hoping to get rid of the knot that was keeping him from talking clearly as he opened the box with one hand. "I want to wake up to every single crow of the rooster next to you. Listen to the horses and cows welcome the morning sun, and teach our kids how to love their home. Just as I love it, and just as I love you."

Brooklyn chuckled as she ran a finger over the beautiful sapphire ring.

"I know this is not Milan, and it's a dirty ranch and I'll be stinking like sweat and hard work..."

"Please, stop it right there. I don't care if this is not Milan, or any of the luxury that comes with it." She turned around, sitting in the same position she had before they had turned their ride into their own private love scene and held one hand. "But this is enough." She looked at his bright blue eyes. "This and you. The ranch, your animals. Our families... Having you all is more than enough. I don't need a fancy home, anywhere with you is home. And knowing you forgive me is all I need. Because you do forgive me, right?"

Marshall nodded and took a shaky breath. Weak cowboy, he thought to himself. Man up, for God's sake!

"So, Brooklyn Evans. Do you agree to wake up every morning by my side? Make me the happiest man in the world? Will you become a cowboy's wife?"

Brooklyn wrapped her arms around his neck and smirked. "Marshall Redd. I agree to do all those things with you, and to make you mine every day of our lives. I want to become a cowboy's wife."

Reaching for her arm, he lowered it to see her soft hands, grabbed the ring with a trembling hand, sliding it on her finger before he kissed her knuckles, their teary eyes never leaving each other's.

"Now, shall we finish this with a bang?" She teased.

"We shall."

Before long, they were both bare on the bull, replaying that day.

The sun was moving, and noon hit; Marshall and Brooklyn found themselves in the hay loft, laying down on a blanket covering the hay, another one covering their bodies as they resumed their passionate encounter.

Marshall ran his hands down her arms, exploring her every being; even knowing her body, he never wanted to forget how it looked and felt under his hand.

With soft kisses and the rub of his stubble, Brooklyn felt herself melt, and her every inch of skin prickling in attention gave Marshall a sure way to make her feel loved.

The open large window facing the fields were a romantic addition to their moment, and with one last sound of pleasure, they both once again felt the promise of love to each other.

~~~~~~

Brooklyn opened her eyes to an evening sun and stretched her aching limbs while a smile made it to her lips; the memories of Marshall proposing, and the moment after, will always live in her.

She lifted her hand where her engagement ring was and her heart felt overjoyed; she would be Mrs. Redd one day, and she couldn't wait to be with Marshall for the rest of her life.

Evening...

"Marshall!" she suddenly sat straight, shaking the sleeping man, forcing him to wake up. "We've been here all day. Abilene must be wondering where we are."

"Don't worry, Sugar. I called Sophia and she's fine. She told me Bexley had rushed to town after receiving a call, so she borrowed Jonah's truck. But," he looked at his watch. "It's better if we go, or we'll miss a good dinner. Sophia promised a good fried catfish and I can't miss it. It's her specialty."

Despite Marshall knowing how to cook, Sophia had taken over the role in the kitchen, seeing as he was tending to the ranch all day and would come back home late in the evening. But, a nice warm meal always waited for him, and he was eternally grateful to his little sister for keeping them both fed.

The couple dressed and headed out the door, when they noticed Jacob driving down the path to meet them.

"Hello, lovebirds," he smiled, putting the truck in park before he stepped out. "By the way you two are looking right now, I assume she said yes, Marshall?"

Brooklyn gasped and frantically checked her hair, realizing she had some hay stuck between the strands as she smiled sheepishly at the old rancher.

"Yes, Pa. She said yes, and I couldn't be happier." Marshall pulled his fiancée close to him, kissing her temple. "Don't worry about your hair. You look beautiful to me," he whispered in her ear.

Oh, how she wanted this man. He couldn't be more of a charmer even if he tried.

"I'm glad, son. You two were perfect for each other from the start. When you two would bicker and try to get in each other's nerves, I knew you had met your match." Jacob patted Marshall's shoulder and took Brooklyn in a fatherly embrace, wishing both the happiness they deserved.

After bidding him goodbye, they got in the truck and made their way to the ranch, holding each other's hand, feeling like a couple on their honeymoon.

As she looked out the window, feeling the breeze caress her face, she thought excitedly on how to give their daughter and the rest of the family the news.

Home, sweet home.