Chapter Thirty-Four

Brooklyn stood at the airport exit, waiting for Marshall to pick her up. Excitement ran through her veins and she couldn't wait to show him and Abilene the pictures of the ultrasound she was able to get while in Italy.

The red pick up truck was recognizable in between the pile of cars driving by, and she had the urge to just rush to his arms and kiss him senseless.

Waving her arm, she waited for him to park, stepping out of the truck and making his way towards her with the same eagerness. Marshall was not wearing a cowboy hat today, and his clothes were pristine. She smiled at how much he tried to look handsome for her.

He was already handsome to her, and he didn't have to try to go further for her. "Oh, I've missed you," she said as they both lost themselves in each other's embrace and their hungry kisses.

"I've missed you more," he replied, not wanting to let her go. His hold was desperate and possessive, and Brooklyn knew there must be something wrong with him. Pulling away, she stared at him with a concerned expression.

"Are you okay?" she asked, running her hands through his hair, feeling the softness between her fingers.

"Not really, but don't want to concern you now. Let's go home. Bexley and Abilene are waiting for you."

"Bexley?" She was confused. "What is she doing there?"

"I'll let her explain. Let's go, Sugar." Marshall kissed her once more before he grabbed her luggage and set it in the back of the truck, opening the passenger door for her. She was happy to be back home.

A few minutes into their drive back to the ranch, she asked him to pull over. Marshall with a frown on his face, did, and was curious to know her reasons. He found a small empty parking lot on the side of the road and parked, turning the ignition off.

There was a moment of silence as they both looked out the windshield, Brooklyn feeling her nerves grow as she took out the small yellow envelope from the purse she had sitting on her feet.

"Here, open it," she said as she handed it to him. Sensing his hesitation as he stared at the envelope, she urged him again to open it. With a nod to his head, and his heart racing, he tore it open and grabbed the pictures inside, staring at the small white dot surrounded by a black hole. He felt the same emotions as he had when he saw his son for the first time on that small screen at the clinic.

It had been a happy moment that had torn his heart months after, and losing the opportunity to even see Abilene in one of these pictures was long forgotten when he saw the ultrasound picture, showing he would be a father once again.

"Is this..." he choked on his words, blinking rapidly. Brooklyn put her hand on his arm, nodding her head as happy tears rolled down her cheeks.

"Yes, it's our baby, Marshall. And judging by how far along I am, we conceived it at the barn."

He laughed out loud, shaking his head in shock. "So I was right. That day we argued and I told you about Abilene being a big sister. I was just riling you up, but wow, it came true."

"Yes, it did. And I can't wait to tell everyone the news. Abilene will be happy to have a baby brother or sister."

He kissed her forehead, happy about the news.

"I can't either, but there's something I need to tell you, Sugar," he said as he took a last glance at the pictures before putting it on the speedometer glass, wanting to have it with him at all times, remembering how life can throw you hard curves, but also good ones.

As his father had told him once. "Son, the bull may toss you once, or twice, but always grab it by the horns and challenge him. Life has a way to teach you valuable lessons, but in the end, those lessons are worth learning, when happiness is what matters most."

"Cassie is back." The happy moment was gone and Brooklyn pulled back, frowning.

"What does she want?" she asked, fearing it was him that she came back for.

"She wants me back." He explained what had happened the day before, including how their daughter reacted to such an event and Brooklyn reached for his face, cupped his cheek and leaned over to kiss his lips.

"This is why I love you. Each day even more," she whispered against his lips, kissing him again. "Let's go home. And as for that woman, she won't ruin what we're both hoping to build again. For Abilene," she pointed at the picture of their soon-to-be-born child. "And for that little one coming."

She leaned her head over his shoulder. "But she better not start anything, or this Evans sister will teach her a thing or two about respecting a man." They both chuckled as he turned the ignition on and drove towards the ranch, thinking about the future that awaited him.

As they drove past the town cemetery, he decided to pull a stop. "Stay here, I'll be back." Brooklyn nodded, realizing the reason why he stopped there, and she knew he needed a moment of privacy.

Marshall took slow, limping steps down the dirt path until he reached a small tombstone, filled with wildflowers around it, and a small statue of an angel over a horse sat by it. At his request, he had it made, but after his son's burial, he hadn't gone back, feeling like the worst father in the world for not visiting his grave often.

"Hello, son," he greeted him, crouching in front of the stone, clearing any dirt that had covered it. "I hope you're doing okay up there. Watching over your little sister." He took a deep shaky breath. "You have sent us another one, huh?" he chuckled. "We'll love and take care of him or her. I miss you, even if I only held you for a few seconds that day."

Marshall kissed his hand and set it on the stone. "Until we see each other again, cowboy." he added, standing up, feeling like a weight has been lifted off his shoulder. "Forgive your mother for me. Your heart is pure, and I won't be able to do it."

As he walked towards his truck, he couldn't help but smile, turning to give one last glance to his son, swearing he could see him standing by the stone; a young boy, Abilene's age. He looked just like he would have imagined him at that age, had he lived past those two hours, and years following.

With dark hair like him, and he was waving at him, his voice echoing in the air. "Until I see you again, Daddy!"

He wanted to blame it on a hallucination due to grievance, but the image was just as clear as day, and with a lone tear rolling down his cheek, he waved back. "Good-bye, Elliott."

It had been the first time he named his son, and he felt joy, knowing that part of him was happy in heaven, and with a promise to move forward, he joined Brooklyn in his truck, kissing his soon-to-be-fiancée, pouring his love for her.