Chapter Forty

"What are we doing here, Mama? Is the baby okay?" Abilene asked, walking in the middle of her parents, holding their hands as she skipped towards the entrance of the clinic. It had been three days since the news, and the incident with Cassie. Marshall was glad he hadn't seen her, and after what Brooklyn did to her, he doubted he would.

"No, Sugar Bug," he replied, stopping right by a wall and crouching in front of her, gazing into her pretty blue eyes with a sweet smile. "We're here to prove you're my daughter."

"But I know I'm your daughter. Why do we need to prove it?" Abilene frowned as she looked at her mother, confused.

Brooklyn took a deep breath and pinched her daughter's chin. "Because we need to do it, sweetheart. It's a way to have your father give you his last name."

"It doesn't make sense. Even if he wasn't my daddy, I could have his last name, right?"

Abilene was smarter than her age, and it didn't cease to amaze Brooklyn how she could bring a solution to any problem they could be facing. She was a breath of fresh air, and she loved everything about her.

Marshall stood straight, looked at the entrance of the hospital and sighed. "Maybe we don't need to do this. I'm sure she's my daughter."

"Yes, but those ladies at the store implied she wasn't. Marshall, I wouldn't lie to you, but I won't have anyone make you feel like I could. So, we'll walk there, do that test, and give our daughter your last name. Just like we agreed. I want to do this right by you. For all these years I kept her from you."

Seeing the guilt on her face, he stepped closer, wrapping his hand around the nape of her neck as they both pressed their foreheads together. "I know, Sugar. I just don't want you or Abilene to go through this humiliation."

"It's not humiliating, Marshall. It's the right you have as a father to confirm that my daughter is yours. I'm not the kind of woman to deny that right, and that's why not telling you the truth ate me alive. I just can't do this anymore."

With a sharp nod to his head, Marshall took his hat off, grabbed Abilene's hand and they all walked inside, greeting the receptionist at the lobby counter.

"Morning, Marshall. What brings you in today?" Gaby greeted with a kind smile, her brown eyes full of cheerful emotions.

"How are you, Gaby? We have an appointment for a paternity test."

Gaby took a look at Brooklyn and then Abilene, and leaned over, whispering. "Is it for that pretty little girl? I don't think you need it, Marshall. She's surely the spitting image of you at that age."

The lady was reaching her fifties, and she had been in town long enough to know everyone. Including the Redd family. Marshall was just five when she first met him, being brought by his father for a small wound after falling off his horse.

With all the attention he had gotten that day, and the amount of candy the doctor had given him, he took on to fake his injuries, just to have an excuse to be taken to the clinic.

"I know, but in this town, gossip gets around. And you know who..." he whispered back, and Gaby knew who he was referring to. "They like to spread it like a plague."

"Oh, I do. Very well, just fill in this paperwork with your information, and it's your insurance covering it, Marshall?"

"Yes, please." He grabbed the clipboard with the paperwork needed to be filled and they all sat down in the waiting area, writing in their information. Abilene tried to look over his shoulder, curious to know what her father was writing, but he was too tall and his broad shoulders kept her from seeing what he was doing.

At that moment, Mrs. Lowell, or Pearl as her name was, walked in with Lexie, both of them heading to the receptionist to check in. Marshall could see the look on her face, distraught and she looked like she'd been crying while Pearl was furiously signing some paperwork.

Seeing the ladies sit down across the room, he caught Lexie's gaze, who weeks ago she had been smiling, and now she looked sad and afraid. And by the looks of Pearl, he knew she was scolding her quietly.

"Mr. Redd?" The nurse called. "This way, please." Urging them to a room where she would take the test, Marshall noticed Abilene had gotten nervous, and instead of looking for Brooklyn's comfort, she held on tightly to his arm, leaning her head shyly against it.

He looked at his fiancée with a sympathetic smile, but Brooklyn knew she shouldn't feel jealous and she had gotten used to Abilene needing her father more. After so long, it was only fair she looked for his comfort and warmth. Even she had yearned for his arms again, and now that she was here with him, she couldn't ask for more.

The test hadn't taken long, thanks to the nurse's kind treatment, and according to her, it would take a couple of days before they knew the results, so they decided to go for a bite to eat. But not before Marshall had stopped them in front of the town hall, leading them inside to do what they had promised.

Test or not, he decided he would give his daughter his last name, and after a moment of waiting, the deed was done. All they needed to do was wait for her new birth certificate with her new last name, and his name on it stating he was her father.

Abilene was a Redd, and when she realized what her parents had done, she jumped and squealed with happiness, hugging them both gratefully for making her day–and the rest of her life–better.

She knew it was all official, and she would be staying forever.

As they walked towards the Diner, Marshall couldn't help but think about Lexie and the reason why they were at the clinic. He knew there was something there, but unlike the mayor and the pastor's wife, he decided to mind his own business.

News would surely get around in their small town, and he would eventually find out. Not that he liked the gossip, but it sure was inevitable, and everyone would know.

"Are you okay?" Brooklyn asked, seeing that he was distracted. Opening the door of the Diner, he nodded, letting them in first. They all sat in a booth before Roxana approached them with menus and a notepad.

"Hi everyone! Can I start you with drinks?" she asked.

"Chocolate milkshake! And maybe a healthy drink for my Mama," Abilene said, making them all chuckle.

"Lemonade," Brooklyn ordered.

"Sweet Tea, thanks." Marshall said, and as Roxana walked away to get their drinks and leave them to study the menu, he sighed, feeling content.

"I was thinking..." he couldn't finish the sentence when he was interrupted by Thomas Gilligan, who was picking up some breakfast to go.

"Hello, beautiful family. Brooklyn, looking stunning there, and little Abilene, is that you? Haven't seen you in weeks, you pretty little thing."

Abilene giggled, blushing. "Hello, Mr. Gilligan!"

He faced Marshall. "I heard about the offer you got from those men at the rodeo. I'm glad you didn't accept. They are known for scamming bull riders."

"I had a feeling, but even if they were legit, I already have what I need here." He looked at his little family.

"Yes, but I also heard the rodeo is actually in town. The real thing; and they are planning on honoring you this year."