Chapter Thirty-Nine

Brooklyn sat on the seat of the truck, fidgeting with her fingers, feeling nervous. She didn't know how Abilene would react to the news of the baby or the engagement, even if her daughter was excited to stay here. But it had been just them two these years, and adding Marshall to the picture permanently could somehow change things between them.

"Sugar, are you okay?" Marshall asked as he stood by the passenger door when he noticed she was not getting out.

"Yes, just nervous. I am not sure how they will all react to the news," she replied, also thinking about Sophia. She would be an aunt once again, and that should be happy news for her, right?

"Don't worry. They'll be happy to know there will be a new member of the family."

Marshall opened the door and helped her out, being cautious about it, making Brooklyn giggle. "I am not a porcelain doll, Marshall. And nothing will happen to our baby just because I am stepping out of a truck."

"You can never be too careful. I lost one, didn't have time with the other, but with this one, I plan to be there every step of the way, just as I plan to be with Abilene the same. On her birthday, her graduation, her wedding..."

"Easy there, cowboy. It's still a long way before that happens. So, let's just enjoy what we have now."

~~~~~~~

Sophia and Jonah sat at the dining table in the kitchen, frozen on the spot. It was getting hard for them to process the news, and for a moment, Brooklyn was afraid they didn't approve of it.

But Abilene's squeal got them out of the trance as she ran towards her parents, hugging them before she peppered them with kisses. "I will have a little baby brother or sister! And Mama and Daddy will get married! I am so happy." She peppered them with kisses again before Marshall set her down on the floor, feeling the love of his daughter, something he never thought would be possible.

Brooklyn felt a sense of relief and she knew the baby will be cared for and loved the way he or she should. It was a happy moment and they cherished it, looking forward to the life ahead of them.

Marshall's phone rang, interrupting their celebration. Looking at the screen, he realized it was his cousin and a smile appeared on his face as he answered.

"Hello, Jay," he greeted him, earning a surprised gaze from Brooklyn. "So, did it work?" A pause. "Great! We'll see you back here. Dinner is almost ready."

"What did Jezzah want?" she asked curiously. Marshall wrapped his arms around her and kissed her lips softly, just as Abilene danced around them, repeating in a song, "Mama and Daddy. I will have a baby brother or sister!"

"Come on," Marshall invited her outside, taking her by the hand.

"But I want to help Sophia with dinner."

"We'll be out on the porch. You can come help in a minute."

They both stood outside, staring in the distance, admiring the cool breeze of the evening as they snuggled against each other.

"Jay bought a ranch and he wanted to surprise Bexley. That's the mysterious call she received. It was his attorney."

"How do you know?"

"Because while you were sleeping and after I called here, he called me to let me in on it. I'm sure they're just having the time of their lives exploring their new home. The R&E Ranch is what he named it."

"Redd and Evans," Brooklyn smiled, happy for her sister. "So, they're moving here?"

"They are. This is Jay's last hockey season, and he wants to set roots back home." Marshall gazed at her, lifting her chin to look into her eyes before he pecked her lips, savoring her. "Just like you and I will be. One big happy family. So, I was thinking we should name this ranch. I know it's been three years since I bought it, but haven't brought myself to name it."

Brooklyn bit her lips, lost in thoughts as she stared at the arched entrance. She had noticed the empty space where the name should have been, but she didn't want to pry or make him upset if she asked.

And at the moment she had arrived, he was not only upset, but furious and resentful.

"I always had hope, and that's what kept me going. So how about Hope Ranch. Or The H. Sounds fitting, don't you think?"

Marshall looked at it and imagined the big H hanging from the arch, and that brought a big smile to his face. "Yes, it sounds fitting. Hope Ranch it is."

Brooklyn wrapped her arms around his waist and leaned her head on his shoulder, feeling the warmth of her fiancé on her shoulder as he kissed her head.

"Mama, dinner is almost ready!" Abilene called, standing behind the screen door. "You have to feed my little brother or sister."

"We're coming, sweetheart," Brooklyn chuckled, looking at Marshall, whose eyes were focused on the car driving towards his ranch, stopping right in front of the house. "What's wrong?"

"Go inside, Sugar."

"But, why?"

"Just go inside, please." Marshall's voice was firm, but not forceful and Brooklyn nodded, heading inside. The car door opened and revealed the woman he wanted nothing to do with.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, stepping off his porch while giving her a deadly stare. "I told you I didn't want to see you. So, get out of here."

"But, Marshall. You know you still miss me. Why don't we forget about everything and just elope? I'm sure you will need a woman's touch here."

"I already have a woman's touch here. My sister's and now my fiancée. So, get in that car and drive away."

There was tension in the air. Cassie lifted her chin defiantly, folding her arms on her chest. "Fiancée? Come on, Marshall. You and I are meant to end up together. Not you and her."

He stomped towards her, their bodies just inches from each other as he stared down at her. "You think I can get over what you did? You think losing a son is just something to forget easily? Why don't you go back to your rodeo moron, just like you did last time, and leave me alone?"

"Marshall..."

"I believe he said to leave him alone, so I suggest you do what he just told you to do." Brooklyn had walked out of the house after hearing the voices and stood at the edge of the steps, staring at the woman like a lioness ready to pounce at whatever threatened her family.

Cassie scoffed. "Do you think I'm afraid of you?"

"Get out of here, now." Marshall threatened once again as he balled his hands into fists, holding back from grabbing her again and forcing her into the car.

But he didn't have to move, when all he could see was Brooklyn rush by him and grab Cassie by the hair, making her scream as she almost dragged her to the car, slamming her against the door. "I will tell you something. I don't know you, but when someone hurts that person I love, that's just enough to want to teach them a lesson. So, unless you want a taste of me, I suggest you leave."

"What if I don't?" she challenged.

With that, Brooklyn pulled her hair harder, opening the door and tossing her inside before she leaned against it. "Get out of here now, or you will get to know me. You don't deserve to be called a wife, or a mother. So, leave and never dare step foot in this ranch."

Before she could close the door, Brooklyn raised her hand and punched her face, shocking Marshall as well as Cassie. "And that... That was for Elliott."