Chapter Twenty-Three

The day was as beautiful as the horse trotting on the field. The sight was spectacular and Abilene enjoyed every minute, every breath of fresh air and every sound of nature. From the leaves on the trees being caressed by the breeze, to the streams of water running down the river. 

Abilene breathed it all in, and her heart felt elated as she kept listening to the soothing noises.

“I wish we could stay here forever,” she mentioned, running her hand through Tabasco’s mane, wondering what kind of shampoo they used at the ranch to make it feel as soft and silky as it did. The horse shook her head and neighed contentedly, as if feeling the positive aura coming from the girl.

“I wish you stayed forever too, but in the end, it’s your mother’s decision,” Sophia replied, stopping Tabasco under the shade of a tree to keep him cool from the hot summer sun. 

“I will convince her. This place is like a playground for kids. Not like our tiny apartment, where we can’t do anything. Or like my school, where kids are mean to me. I bet they are nicer here.”

Sophia felt concerned and sad for her niece and wondered if Brooklyn knew what she was feeling about her home or what she was going through at school. She couldn’t judge it herself as she was lucky to have been born and raised in such a wonderful place, where she felt at peace and free. 

As they enjoyed the day, Abilene could hear horses galloping and neighing in the distance, making her skin tingle with excitement as she spotted a large herd of Mustangs crossing the river downhill. 

“They’re beautiful,” she cried, eager to get off Tabasco and run towards them, but she knew she couldn’t as they were wild animals, and were not too keen on human interaction.

“They truly are,” Sophia hopped off the horse, helping Abilene before they both focused their attention on the herd. The smile on Abilene’s face was priceless, and Sophia knew if they could convince Brooklyn to stay forever, her niece would be the happiest girl in the world.

“Aunt Sophia? Do you think Mama would want to be with Daddy? Maybe if they are, she would want to stay,” she mentioned with an innocent expression on her face. 

Sophia sighed, biting her lips. “I don’t know, Sugar Pop. You would have to ask her, and tell her how you truly feel.” She pushed a strand of dark hair behind the little girl’s ear and lifted her chin to look into her eyes. “Maybe if you tell her how happy you are here, she could change her mind about going back to Italy.”

Abilene nodded with a determined expression on her face, and with a promise to convince Brooklyn about the possibility of the ranch being their home, they both enjoyed the rest of the afternoon, admiring the beauty of the fields. 

~~~~~~

“See anything you like?” Marshall asked while Brooklyn browsed the clothing racks at Gigi’s Ranching Outlet, where he had promised she would find what she needed in the time they would be there. 

“Yes, but I can't decide. These jeans are cute, and these flannel shirts are gorgeous.” She held a blue and a brown shirt for him to admire. Marshall studied the outfits, shaking his head before he browsed for a red, a yellow and a black flannel shirt. “These might look better on you.”

“So, now what? You’re an expert in country fashion?” Brooklyn giggled. 

“No, but many of the rodeo women wore these colors, and judging by your skin and hair color, these might look good on you.”

Her laugh faded, putting the shirts back on the rack before she went for another one, browsing some boots. “I see,” she said, feeling jealous. “And were they pretty?”

“Yes, they were. But buckle bunnies are not my thing,” Marshall replied as if sensing her jealousy, standing behind her, leaning to whisper in her ear. “I have a sudden change in taste from blondes to brunettes.”

Brooklyn smirked. “Well, I certainly heard about a blonde girl back then that had stolen your heart, breaking it in pieces and smashing it on the ground. Could this brunette fix that for you?” she teased, running her hand over the jean fabric of an overall she picked, waiting patiently for an answer. 

“Maybe, if that brunette could make an old cowboy happy by staying here with their little girl. But, I don’t want to get my hopes too high, Brooklyn. She might not agree to it. In fact, she doesn’t want to.”

She turned around and looked at him with sadness in her eyes. “Marshall, you know I can’t…”

Not letting her continue to talk, he pulled her against him, took his hat off and kissed her tenderly, stealing her breath with just that one action as she gave in, responding eagerly to that kiss. Their skin burned hot and their need for each other grew larger than it had earlier in the barn.

When they both pulled back, he raised her hand and kissed the palm, pressing it against his chest. “Can you feel that?” he asked, and Brooklyn nodded. “It’s my heart beating for you. It’s begging to have just moments with you.”

Imitating his action, he felt her heart beat just as fast, giving her feelings away as they both stood in each other’s arms in the middle of the store. “I know, because mine is doing the same. I am just confused and scared.”

“No need to be scared, because now that you’re back, even if it's temporarily, I will do everything in my power to make you happy.”

Those words echoed in her ears, and it brought back memories of that night when the afterglow of their lovemaking–and just before their argument–had Marshall filling her with tender and loving words. 

“I will make you the happiest woman in the world. Just stay and give this a chance.”

Brooklyn pulled back at the sound of the door opening, the bell at the top jingling as customers walked in. “We should finish shopping.” She went back to the racks, finally choosing the shirts Marshall had shown her and a pair of jeans and overalls, along with a pair of black cowboy boots, her size, before they headed to the cash register counter. 

But before they arrived there, they heard gossip between two customers who were waiting in line to pay. “Did you hear? Marshall Redd has a daughter, and supposedly it was from that affair he had with that northern girl, the sister of Jeremiah’s wife.”

“I know! Is that girl even his daughter? It could be from anyone back wherever she came from,” another said. “For all we know, she could be another Cassie, making him fall for her, and then leaving, breaking his heart.”

“Ladies,” Marshall cleared his throat, tipping his hat at them. “Mrs. Lowell and Mrs. Parcell.”

“Oh, hello, son. We were just talking about…”

“Yes, we heard you.” Marshall looked at Brooklyn, who stood there with her clothes in her hands, looking at the older ladies with fury in her eyes. “May I present to you, Brooklyn Evans? Jeremiah's sister-in-law and the mother of the little girl you assume is not mine.”
“Oh, Marshall. We are so sorry. We just heard these rumors…”

“And I am sure as the mayor’s wife, it’s your job to spread it? And here I thought you were the clear example of truth and facts. I guess I was wrong. What would your husband say?” he looked at Mrs. Parcell. “And you, as the pastor’s wife? Someone should really look into forgiveness from God.”

The ladies gasped outraged and turned back to the counter, their faces red in shame as they greeted Gigi, the owner, who looked at Marshall with pride in her smile. 

“Some things just don’t change,” he mentioned, unhappily.

“Looks like they don’t,” Brooklyn agreed, frowning. “Is Cassie your ex-girlfriend?”