Epilogue

5 YEARS LATER

The sun was setting on the horizon and the soft breeze of the summer caressed their bodies as they sat on the bed of Marshall's truck, reminiscing the way they met, and how grateful they were to be together now.

Under the shade of their tree, they laughed at the mischievousness of their kids as they ran around, tagging each other, filling the air with laughter, just like they had wanted.

Alan and Aurelie were just as active and as playful as Abilene was, which didn't surprise them as they had a great teacher to help them learn.

"Abilene, be careful with your siblings. They're still too little!" Brooklyn called, chuckling as she held Elliette, their three year old toddler on her lap. They had named her after Elliott, bringing Marshall tears of happiness that day when the nurse asked, and Brooklyn surprised him with her choice.

She said it was a beautiful name for a beautiful girl, and he could see a hint of his son in her eyes, as if his soul somehow had taken over hers to fill their lives with joy.

Abilene, now eleven, and the twins, who were five, were happy to have someone else to play with soon.

Marshall had been able to completely move on, and his heart was clear from any regret and resentment towards Cassie, who had been released from jail a year ago, but they hadn't seen her in town, and hoped never to.

Maybe the shame of what she did haunted her, knowing everyone in town would judge her for it.

Many events have happened over the years. Lexie moved to France with the father of her child. She always sent letters to their parents and to Marshall and Brooklyn with pictures of their little girl, who she called Mila.

Bexley had given birth a week after Brooklyn, a little boy called Jackson. Jeremiah had been over the moon since then, and they were teaching their son to ride a horse and take care of their ranch. Now they were expecting a girl, and his nerves were all over the place, thinking on how to deal with a hormonal teenager in the future.

Sophia recently graduated from college, and was expecting to come back and take over Thomas Gilligan's hardware store. His sister couldn't be more excited, and hoped to be worthy of filling the old man's shoes and be loved in town, just as he had been all these years.

Jonah asked for his blessing and her hand in marriage, to which after a lot of convincing from his wife, stating how great he was for Sophia, he had caved in, giving him the green light to start a new life with her. He would propose at her arrival, and hoped she would say yes.

The young man was truly worthy of her love and he had proven it.

"Happy Anniversary, Sugar," Marshall whispered in his wife's ear, kissing her cheek. The tickling sensation on his breath on her neck sent shivers through her skin, and made her hair rise in attention.

"Happy Anniversary, my love," Brooklyn replied, holding his face with one hand before she leaned to kiss him, their lips molding perfectly to each other.

"Ma-ma?" Elliette called, pointing at her siblings. "Play, Pwease?"

"Of course, honey." She looked at Marshall as if asking him with her eyes to join, but he shook his head, hinting that he just wanted to relax and enjoy seeing them have fun.

Brooklyn and Elliette climbed down the tailgate with his help, and the toddler took off running clumsily down the hill, joining the kids in a playful game of hide and seek.

She turned to look at her husband with a glint in her eyes, leaning against the truck. "There's something you should know."

Marshall sat straight. Curious.

"What is it?"

"I know I failed to mention this, but when I went to visit Cassie at the sheriff's office that day, I made her a promise. I was too angry to give her the satisfaction of seeing us fail. In honor of your son, I told her I would give you as many kids as you wanted."

His attention grew, and he took a deep breath while his heart pounded inside his chest. Brooklyn touched her belly, and smiled, letting out a soft chuckle.

"There's someone waiting to meet the world." With that, she walked away and joined the kids, all of them giggling and screaming with joy.

As Marshall stared at them, he realized he would be a father once again. Five kids to fill the ranch, and to fill their hearts with love.

Looking up at the sky, he mouthed a thank you to God and to his son for blessing him and his family every day.

For all the pain and the suffering he's gone through, it had all been worth it. Today, at this moment, he couldn't ask for more. His life was complete and by losing something, he had gained a lot more.

He had gained a new meaning, and a new reason to live.

Because this was all he ever wanted and needed.

And he had to thank that blonde-haired, heel-wearing, spoiled–or so he had thought that day–rich girl that had arrived in his life that one winter morning, filling his Christmas not only with bickering and nasty glances, but with a second chance at love.

A true forever love.

THE END...