Chapter Thirty-Eight

Bexley pulled in front of the Diner and stared out the windshield, anxiously. The call made her think something was wrong, as it sounded a bit desperate. It was also a private phone call, so there was no number to be able to dial back.

It was strange and mysterious.

She hopped out of the truck, set the alarm and made her way inside, the doorbell announcing there was a customer as a waitress shouted from behind the counter to take any booth available.

Looking around for a hint of the man that had called, she didn't see anyone suspicious, or even staring at her as a sign he was the one.

"Bexley! Welcome back to town. Are you looking for someone?" Roxana, one of the waitresses asked, walking over with a menu in hand.

"I'm supposed to meet someone here," she replied, looking around once again.

"Well, we don't have anyone here that asked for you, but if you want to sit and wait, they might arrive any minute. I can get you something to drink."

Bexley nodded and asked for an iced cold lemonade as Roxana handed her the menu before she found an empty booth and sat down, feeling like it had been a bad idea to even meet the person alone. She should have brought Sophia and Jonah with her or waited for Brooklyn to come back to ask her, but it sounded so urgent, she didn't wait.

As she studied the menu, she was trying to be aware of her surroundings, when a man in a dark suit approached her. He was tall with gray hair–probably in his 60s–and a kind smile, standing by her table.

"You must be Mrs. Redd," he greeted her, extending his hand. "My name is Nicholas Finn. I am an attorney in the state of Tennessee."

The first thing in her mind was instantly the thought of Jeremiah asking for a divorce, and as she chuckled nervously, she extended her hand and shook his. "Yes, I am. But you can call me Bexley. Nice meeting you. Please sit."

If any hopes of Jeremiah coming to town for her and talking things out had been in her mind, they sure were gone. And worse of all, it had been her fault. But Jeremiah needed to understand her as well. It was true that she had married into the chaotic life of hockey, but it was sure time to just have a place to call home.

"How can I help you? Do you need anything to eat or drink?"

"No, no, no," Nicholas chuckled as he patted his hand on hers, reassuringly. "I was the one that called you earlier. Sorry for doing it on a private line, but surprises cannot be spoiled."

"Surprises? Do you mean this is not a petition for divorce?"

Nicholas frowned and shook his head, confused as to why the young lady was thinking such a thing. His client had talked about her, and he had nothing but amazing things to say, and there was no way he would ask his wife for a divorce.

"My client, Mr. Jeremiah Redd had specifically requested that I take you on a ride. He said he hopes that you love what he has for you and that you are able to sign this paperwork I have in my briefcase." He patted the black case next to him on the table, and Bexley couldn't help but sigh in relief.

"It's just that we..."

"Yes, he told me about your little predicament, but he said he doesn't love anyone as much as you. And with this, he hopes to make it up to you." He stood from the booth, standing aside as he extended his arms towards the door, urging her to join him.

"How do I know you're not a demented criminal?" she raised an eyebrow. Nicholas chuckled once again, reaching for his pocket and taking out a business card with his information. He also searched his cell phone, finding Jeremiah's phone number and showing it to Bexley, convincing her that he was telling the truth.

"Fine, but I'll drive back on the vehicle I came in," she said as she waved at Roxana to let her know she was leaving. Tossing a few bills on the table, and forgetting her lemonade, she made her way out the door, with Nicholas following before they both got in their respective cars. Bexley followed him to their destination, and the entire way there she thought what had Jeremiah involving a lawyer?

If it wasn't a divorce, what could it be?

It wasn't too long before they arrived, and seeing the route on the way there, she could be certain the Redd ranch and Marshall's were close by. The lawyer's car drove underneath an arched entryway, and at the top it read "R&E."

"What is this?" she said to herself as they both stopped in front of a ranch house, where a car was parked by the roundabout, instantly recognizing it as Jeremiah's. Her heart skipped a beat, and she couldn't believe what she was seeing.

Jeremiah walked out of the house, his stance such a sexy one to her, as he wore wranglers, a flannel shirt and a brown Stetson hat, looking every bit a cowboy.

She was frozen on the spot, her hands tight on the steering wheel as she stared at her husband slowly walking down the steps, greeting the lawyer with a smile on his face before he headed towards the truck, leaning against the window.

"Hello, darlin'. I'm glad you accepted to follow Nick here."

"What is this, Jezzah? What are you playing at?"

Jeremiah opened the door and leaned towards his wife, brushing a kiss on her lips, making her feel the delicious shivers he still was able to.

"This is my surprise to you, Bex. Our new home."

"What?" she swiftly hopped off the truck and looked at the stunning ranch house. It had two floors and it was made of sturdy logs with a copper red roof, a large porch on the front with a swing to the right and a comfortable bench on the left. Shrubs adorned the side of the steps and as she turned around, she could see the vast acres of land, with horse pens and a large red barn.

"The horses came with it, by the way. I know you love them, and I was able to get a good deal for the ranch and them together."

Bexley turned around to look at him while tears rolled down her cheeks.

"What do you mean?" she asked, hopeful. "You said we couldn't have a ranch and we couldn't leave the city to move here."

"I know I said that. But I also pondered over every angry word you spat at me," Jeremiah held her hand, kissing her knuckles. "Bexley, you're my wife, my everything. I would never, in my life, cheat on you. You and our baby are what matter to me, and I will do anything to make you happy."

"Oh, Jezzah..."

"That's why, I talked to my coach and the team owner. And as soon as hockey season is over, I decided not to renew my contract."

Her heart felt elated, but also guilty as she had been the one to try to force him to retire.

"And don't feel bad, Darlin'. This ranch has been in the process of sale for two years. So, as much as I was against you, it was all a cover-up."

"So, does that mean..."

"Yes, Bexley Evans," he kissed her lips, pressing his forehead against hers. "I will leave hockey and focus on being a rancher, living the life we've always dreamed of."