Chapter Twenty-Two

Abilene stood behind the screen door, solemnly watching at the truck disappear down the driveway. She thought her parents’ argument had to do with her, and didn’t want them to be upset at each other. 

She just met her father, and she wanted this trip to be a happy one. Not making it harder on both adults to get along. 

“Abilene, I have some chocolate cake if you’d like,” Sophia offered as she put the leftovers away, clearly seeing no one would eat lunch after what just happened. But a piece of cake was surely something Abilene couldn’t refuse. 

“I don’t want any. Mama is mad at Daddy, and I didn’t like it. Why were they fighting?” she asked, walking towards her aunt, sitting on one of the chairs at the dining table. Leaning her head over her folded arms, she looked at the tablecloth, sadly and disappointed. “This wasn’t what I wanted. I wanted to be happy.”

“Oh, Sugar Pop. They’ll talk things out and everything will be okay,” Sophia reassured her as she put her hands on the little girl’s shoulders, kissing her head. “Why don’t we go outside and take a ride on my horse?”

“Really? With you?” Abilene’s eyes shone bright as she hopped off the chair, hugging Sophia as soon as the young woman nodded, promising the best ride of her life. “We’ll get to ride Tabasco.”

“Tabasco? I fell in love with that horse,” Abilene frowned. “But Daddy said he won’t let anyone near him.”

Sophia chuckled, crouching at her level, looking around to make sure her brother was not back and walking through those doors. “He lets me ride him. But your father doesn’t know that.”

Abilene squealed excitedly, rushing to put her boots on before she slammed the screen door open, not waiting for Sophia as she made her way towards the barn, ready. She has never experienced such an adventure and with rodeo in her blood, she couldn’t wait to learn to ride a horse herself. 

~~~~~~

The silence in the truck was deafening as Marshall drove it down the road with no destination in mind. He wanted Brooklyn to cool down and maybe talk like a civilized person, something that was supposedly expected from someone of her wealth. 

“I am not wealthy,” Brooklyn said, and it came to his mind that he had thought it out loud. She was looking out the window as all the cowboy could hear were her sniffles, hinting that she is or had been crying. 

Cursing at himself, he sighed and pulled the truck over to a small dirt path leading to an empty field of corn. He parked next to a maple tree, underneath the cool shade of its leaves and turned the ignition off. 

They both sat there, waiting for the other to speak, but neither was saying a word. “I didn’t mean it that way, Brooklyn,” he finally said after a few minutes of silence. “What I meant is that you’re beautiful, intelligent, just a treasure to be held. Why do you insist on acting like a wild woman, when we can have a decent conversation?”

“Well, when a man just acts on impulse and tosses you like a sack of potatoes over his shoulder, one has to act. Don’t you think so?” her voice sounded broken while she wiped her tears–that now had rolled down her cheeks–and Marshall felt the need to comfort her. 

“I just lost my job, and I might lose my apartment, so you should understand that I can’t be calm when I will be leaving my daughter homeless,” she added. 

“You won’t be homeless, Brooklyn,” Marshall reassured her, reaching for her hand–which rested on her lap–and squeezed it gently, clearing his throat, feeling uncomfortable. “My ranch is big enough for two more people.”

“I don’t want your charity, Marshall. My daughter and I will go back to Italy and I’ll find another job and we’ll be fine.”

“Will you?” He raised an eyebrow, praying internally that she changed her mind and stayed. She lifted her gaze at him, shook her head and scoffed, knowing what he was trying to do.

“We agreed that it would be for the summer, and nothing more. If I truly have to stay longer than that, I could find a hotel in town and we can spend the days there. But in no way we’ll be invading your home for longer than necessary.”

He nodded, letting go of her hand as he looked out the windshield. How could someone be so damn stubborn? He’s offering not only her a home, but also to their daughter, and she was still refusing. 

What am I going to do with you, Brooklyn Evans? You’re driving me nuts with your excuses. 

“Very well. Let’s not talk about that now. I just wanted you to calm down, and if carrying you like a sack of potatoes was the way to go for that to happen, then I am glad it worked. And darling,” he leaned closer to her, showing the sexy smirk that drove her and her body insane. “What happened between us earlier is something that’s not easily forgettable.”

Brooklyn felt herself blush again, her tears long gone as she stared at him, dumbfounded. “Now, I was thinking that maybe we can go to town and shop for some clothes for you.”

“What are you talking about? I have clothes.”

“For once, stop arguing and accept my offer. Whatever clothes you brought are not appropriate for ranching.” Marshall looked at her with softness in his eyes. “I'm trying to make you miserable, but I can’t. So, from now on, we get along, not only for Abilene, but for our own sake.”

She found herself laughing, nodding in agreement. This is what she wanted, for them to get along and lead this situation peacefully. No more arguing, no more stubbornness, and no more denying. 

“I’ve missed you,” she whispered, earning another smirk. 

“I’ve missed you, too.”

With a promise of peace between them, Marshall turned the ignition on and headed back the way he came, hitting the road towards town while the radio played Starting Over by Chris Stapleton, giving the cowboy the urge to sing along. 

She remembered those few days when he first sang to her, his deep, melodious voice was like a heavenly sound in her ears, and she wished he would never stop singing. 

Now she was there, next to him, enjoying his voice again, and she couldn’t help but take her seat belt off and scoot closer to him, leaning her head on his shoulder as he kissed her hair, inhaling the delicious scent of her lavender shampoo. 

“Marshall?”

“Hmm?”

“Have you ever thought of returning to the circuit?” 

He sighed. “Not sure. I doubt I will be able to.”

Brooklyn lifted her head and set her chin on his shoulder, careful not to poke him hard as she stared at his handsome features. “Why not?”

“My leg is not as it used to be. And I rather just focus on the ranch. And now, Abilene.”

She frowned. “Since when has anything stopped you? You’re the great Marshall Redd. One of the best rodeo stars in the county. What would it take for you to go back?”

Gripping the steering wheel tightly, he said. “It would take the courage I currently don’t have.”