Chapter Twenty-Seven

Jonah just sat there in silence, embarrassed at what just occurred. He hoped Marshall considered letting him date Sophia; his feelings for her were too great to just let her escape from his hands.

"Jonah, are you okay?" she asked, praying to all the heavens that he didn't regret his decision to confess his intentions to her brother.

"I am," he stood from the chair, grabbed his hat and set it on his head, giving Sophia a curt nod as he tried to make his way out.

"No, please. Don't go. Why don't we see the horses?" she suggested, afraid to touch him for fear he might reject her now that Marshall didn't give his permission. But Jonah was not the type of guy to give up, and until the older cowboy said yes, he won't stop asking.

He liked Sophia too much to just stop trying to pursue her. She was a treasure to him. Being best friends since they were kids, he had developed feelings overtime, waiting for the right time and age to ask her out.

"I have to go for now, but I'll call you later," he leaned closer to her ear. "I am not giving up on you, Sophia Redd. Not for one moment."

As Sophia was leading him towards the door, they both heard the argument between Brooklyn and Marshall, and they couldn't help but feel guilty for causing such a ruckus between them, all having to do with Jonah and her.

When she tried to head out to stop their argument, Jonah held her back, shaking his head, a hint to let them figure it out. But they didn't count on one certain little girl to appear behind them, asking them about her parents.

"Let's get some ice cream. I have chocolate and vanilla in the freezer," Sophia suggested, holding Abilene's hand to take her back into the kitchen and keep her away from the door, but the sound coming from outside got her attention and she freed herself from her aunt's hands, heading towards the door.

What she heard made her heart beat fast; her mother was saying they wouldn't stay at the ranch, and tears were already rolling down her rosy cheeks. She turned around to face Jonah and Sophia, who were staring at her with concern laced on their faces, while she tried to hide her sadness with a smile, all to reassure them she was okay.

But she wasn't. She had to think fast, or else, she would be taken away, back to Italy. She hated that place. There was nowhere else she'd rather be than at her father's ranch.

Knowing there was a back door that led to the fields, she walked slowly away from her aunt, pretending everything was fine. As soon as she was out of sight, she made a run for it, pushing the screen door open and trying to make it as far as possible before they noticed she was gone.

"Abilene!" She heard Sophia's voice fading as she disappeared from sight, not knowing where she was heading, but if that made her mother worry enough to forget about her plan, she was more than okay with it.

Sophia was frantically trying to call her niece back, and seeing her disappear had her mind reeling. There were wild animals out there, and she didn't know the lands long enough to feel safe.

Rushing back to the front door, where Marshall and Brooklyn were standing in total silence, her feeling upset and him feeling ashamed, she slammed the door open.

"Abilene ran away! She heard your argument and ran away!" She cried, quickly being held in Jonah's arms as the adults reacted.

Ignoring the constant pain on his leg and fearing for his daughter, Marshall made a quick jog to the barn, swiftly putting the saddle on Wrangler–which was the first horse he had in sight–and took him outside.

"I'm going with you," Brooklyn said, heading to the saddle stand, but he stopped her.

"No, you stay here. I'll get her."

"She's my daughter..."

"I don't have time to worry about you either. I will get her, and you'll stay here in case she comes back." Before she could react, Marshall was already on the horse and they both galloped away, leaving her standing in the middle of the barn, praying he found their daughter safe and sound.

She blamed herself for bringing her here. They were both doing fine in Italy, or at least she was.

Oh, who was she kidding? They were miserable, but pulled through. Pretending to be happy, they survived these years, and now being here, she didn't know what else to expect.

"Please, find her. Find our baby," she whispered as she saw him and the horse get smaller the further they went.

~~~~~~

"Abilene!" Marshall shouted, looking around the fields, hoping to spot her nearby. "Abilene! Where are you?"

His heart was frantically beating, fearing for her. She was just a little girl, lost and alone there. With wild horses that could trample her and hungry mountain lions, he didn't want to imagine her lying on the ground, hurt or even worse.

"Abilene, please, answer me. It's Daddy!" he called once again, slowing his horse down to a trot, careful not to miss any spot where she might be.

An hour had gone by, and still no sight of Abilene. "Please, little one. Give me a sign you're okay." That's when he heard it. Sniffles coming from behind a tree, as a soft voice kept muttering words he couldn't understand.

A sense of relief came over him, and hopping off the horse–groaning–he made his way around the tree, seeing her sitting by it, her head down on her arms.

"Sugar Bug," he sat next to her, looking into the distance. Abilene didn't lift her gaze as she kept weeping–her body shaking–which broke his heart. "I'm sorry."

"Why? Mama is the one that said we were leaving," she said in a hushed tone.

"Yes, because I said something mean to her. Don't be mad at her."

Abilene lifted her head and stared at him with a frown on her face. Seeing her with her eyes red and swollen from all the crying had him wrapping his arms around her, wanting to make her feel better.

"Please, stop being mean to my Mama. I don't want to go anywhere. I want to stay here with you. I want Mama to stay here so we can all be a happy family," her sobs became louder with each word she spat out. "I love you, Daddy!"

"Oh, I love you too. I know we've known each other for a day, but you've stolen my heart. I don't want you to leave," he pulled away to cup her cheeks and wipe her tears away. Marshall kissed her forehead, feeling the emotions run from his lips to her heart.

"Let's go back home. Your Mama is worried sick."

Abilene nodded with a pout on her lips, taking deep breaths to calm herself down.

"I'm sorry for making you worry," she whispered, to which earned her another hug as the cowboy tried to hold his own tears at bay.

"No, Sugar Bug. We are sorry, and we'll fix this. I promise we will."