Chapter Twenty-Eight

Brooklyn paced back and forth on the porch floor, praying Marshall found Abilene, while her own guilt consumed her. She didn't mean for her daughter to listen to their conversation, and hoped she didn't hear him insult her the way he did.

Anxiety was kicking in as it was the first time she lost her daughter in such a big place. She never dared run away from her back home. And here, despite being a safer place, she still didn't know much about it. Not even herself, even if she had spent some time in these lands.

"Where are you, sweetheart? Mama is worried," she muttered, fidgeting with her fingers, feeling anxiety creep into her skin. "Please, Marshall. Hurry with our little girl."

The sounds of the horse trotting towards the ranch had her on alert, and she blew out a breath of relief at seeing Marshall and Abilene making their way back. Tears sprang free from her eyes as she ran to them as soon as Marshall helped her down after he hopped off the horse.

"Mama, I'm so sorry!" Abilene cried, her little hands trembling as she held onto her mother for dear life after Brooklyn crouched to take her in her arms.

"Oh, sweetheart. Don't you do this to me and your father again. Anything could have happened to you," Brooklyn sobbed, peppering Abilene with kisses on her face before she hugged her again, looking up at the cowboy standing next to his horse with a solemn expression on his face.

"Thank you," she mouthed, earning a curt nod from him as he headed to the barn to put Wrangler away. Emotions have gone haywire in just one day, and Brooklyn was afraid it would get worse as weeks went by. She didn't want to waste time being angry or upset. She wanted to live happily somewhere where she felt like home.

This was her home, and she'd known it from the moment she stepped on that airstrip and her eyes met his for the first time. She knew this is where she belonged.

"I didn't mean to run away, Mama. I heard you saying we were leaving, and I don't want to leave. I thought this could stop your plans."

Seeing her daughter break down in sobs again had her rethinking her choice, but it would be something she needed to discuss with Marshall, and come to an agreement.

"We'll talk about this later. For now, I'm just glad you're safe, sweetheart. Your father was worried about you too."

"I know. I promise not to do it again. I love you, Mama."

"I love you, too, my princess."

~~~~~~

That night, Brooklyn tucked Abilene to sleep, read her a story and kissed her good night, wishing her good dreams.

"Mama?"

"Yes?"

"Can we stay forever? I don't want to go back to Italy. Kids are mean to me and our apartment is too small. Here, I can play and run around." Her voice sounded pleading, and it was hard for Brooklyn to ignore such a request.

"Why didn't you tell me they were mean? I could have done something. Oh, my little girl, why would you hide such a thing from me?"

"I didn't want to worry you. But promise me you'll think about it, Mama. Please?"

"I promise. Now go to sleep." With one more kiss on her forehead, Brooklyn turned her night light on, stepped out of the room and closed the door behind her.

Marshall leaned against the wall by Abilene's door with his arms folded on his chest, his gaze focused on the floor. Hearing her ask her mother about staying made his heart melt, and a smile made its way to his lips, hope quickly coming back to his soul.

After what he said to Brooklyn, he still prayed she took Abilene's disappearance as a sign they should stay, and be the family she wants them to be.

"Thank you for getting her. I don't know what I would do if anything happened to her," she whispered as he lifted his gaze, wanting to reach for her face, but held himself back, not wanting to make this situation uncomfortable.

Brooklyn, seeing his hesitation, grabbed his hand and set it on her cheek, tears of anguish rolling down as she closed her eyes to feel the rough touch of the man she loved.

"Don't you ever say anything like that to me, Redd. Do you hear me?" She sobbed when he pulled her against his chest, wrapping his big arms around her.

"I know. I'm sorry, Brooklyn. I didn't mean to. My temper got the best of me and we almost lost our daughter."

She lifted her gaze, her eyes red and brimming with more tears.

"You're an asshole and you deserved that slap. Big time," she chuckled, but then she frowned. "You have to stop living in the past and focus on the future. We're your future, you idiot."

She punched his chest, repeating that last sentence as he tried to stop her, holding her wrists. He pulled her against him again, both of them lost in tears as they held onto each other, not wanting to let go.

"Don't do this to us. I'm begging you," she whispered, wrapping her arms around his back, taking in his delicious musky scent–mixed with the smell of hay–and relaxed.

"What can I do to make this all right?" he asked, stroking her back tenderly.

"Stop being such a damn grump. Let your sister live her life, and fall in love. Stop trying to control everything and worry about everyone, and for one minute, worry about yourself. You have the weight of the world on your shoulder, and you need to start relying on others to make you happy."

His chuckled reverberated in his chest, making her smile. No matter how mad they were, the only ones who could calm each other's tempers were themselves.

They were made for each other, and it was just perfect.

Marshall pulled away from her and limped back, groaning in pain, feeling his adrenaline leave his body and his leg torture him once again.

"Are you okay?" Brooklyn asked concerned.

"Yeah, just my leg is killing me now. I'll take a shower and rest."

As he walked away, Brooklyn could see how hard it was to walk with his leg hurting, and it squeezed her insides.

"Why don't I meet you in your bedroom? I have something that might alleviate it for a while."

He nodded and smirked as he was looking forward to being alone with her again.

"Don't get any ideas, cowboy. I'm going to help you with the pain, nothing else."

"Whatever you say," he chuckled again as they both walked back to their rooms, Marshall quickly taking his shower while Brooklyn found the ointment she had used on the models' feet after wearing heels for a long period of time.

Excitement coursed through her body at the thought of being alone with him, in such an intimate manner.

A few minutes had gone by and she made her way to his room, knocking at the door. Not getting any answer, she opened it and walked in. The lights were dimmed and she could barely see where she was going without bumping into a piece of furniture.

Taking a deep breath, she muttered. "Here we go."