Chapter 3: The Malediction

Flashback:

Several years have passed, Mark has become an adult, a very handsome man with red hair, a red beard, magnificent green eyes. He looked a bit like his grandfather on his father's side. Today, Mark is eighteen, everyone wants to celebrate the birthday of the prince, the future Lord of the castle, Mark does not seem to agree, he went with Markus to the forest to hunt like every morning. The friendship he has with his creature has grown since the ceremony, they get along very well despite Markus not always understanding what Mark wants. When they are in a fight, Markus always tries to keep an eye on his master even if he doesn't really need to, he always manages.

Every lunchtime, Mark always takes a big bag with meat and his lunch in the forest to eat with Markus. He talks about his day, his fears and his projects to his creature, Markus communicates with his master with his paws and his head, Mark understands what he is saying because understanding the language of creatures is the basis.

~!~

During the battles he does with his father, Mark has already gone against his father's order. Lucius dislikes normal humans and other species, he asks not to make survivors and to kill anything that moves even civilians.

Once, Mark made his father think he killed a family but in fact, he was with Markus far from the battle to release the family a little further. But his father found out because one of the soldiers followed him, which led to a huge argument between the two, he was punished by sleeping in the mud outside in the middle of a storm.

Every time Mark was punished for doing the opposite of what his father demanded, Mark was in a terrible shape which hurt his mother's heart who was always trying to convince her husband to stop punishing him like this. Alas, Lucius was not listening to his wife, he wanted his son to obey and do what he ordered.

Once, Mark was forced to kill a human woman in front of everyone otherwise Lucius would kill Markus and Mark would be banished.

As night fell, Mark took the dead woman, wrapped her in a white sheet and buried her with dignity so as not to let her father tear her to pieces for the food of the creatures. He kept saying he was sorry as he made the hole with the only shovel he had. As soon as he had buried her, he got down on one knee, praying to the spirits to watch over the soul of this poor lady.

The only one who agreed with Mark was Betty, his mother, who hasn't understood her husband for a while. He lost a lot of battles...lost a lot of men, drinks a lot and lost his self-confidence...the rumors in the castle say that Lucius uses dark magic and sees the blind man every night to find out about the future of the castle...

~!~

Lucius knows the rumors are swirling around the castle but pays no attention. He's tired of losing land, he's tired of seeing his son disobey his orders and the worst that his wife doesn't support him. He is in the basement of the castle, his eyes resting on his black book reading and thinking too. His army leader and friend, James descended to the basement with a torch in hand, walking towards Lucius. "Majesty, may I speak to you as a friend?" He asked, seeing that the majesty nodded, he continues. "Are you thinking of a betrayal by your son? I mean if he doesn't want to kill people like we do, will he be able to betray?" he asked his longtime friend, also worried about the future of the castle. Lucius looked up coldly and stared at James. "If he betrays, he betrays the whole family..." Lucius said before returning his attention to his book. "And he won't have a choice" he added.

~!~

It's midnight, everyone is sleeping in the castle apart from the night guards. Lucius slowly gets up from the bed and gets dressed then puts on his coat before leaving the castle. After a few minutes of walking in the forest, he heads for a small wooden cabin, he looks around him, checking to see if he has not been followed, then enters. The inside of the hut is just lit up with candles, animal skins are hanging, a table with candles and a very old man who seems to be blind. "Oh, glad to know you're back, my lord..." the blind man says knowing that it's majesty once again who has come, he reaches out to Lucius to kiss his hand.

"Yes, I came back here to know the future again" Lucius said sitting down putting his arms on the table, the blind man slipped his hands on Lucius' arms then took his pebbles in his hands.

"I'm listening to you" Said the blind man, fingering the pebbles in his hands. "I want to know what will become of the castle when my son is on the throne." Lucius said looking at him as the blind man thought about turning his pebbles in one hand and one hand on Lucius' arm.

"Your son will be a great dark lord on the throne, he will reign and he will be the most beloved Calaway as he will protect the kingdom from a darker enemy." Revealed the blind man who reassures Lucius but a question comes to mind. " I have another question ; will he betray me? he asked but the blind man doesn't answer his question which drives Lucius mad, throws the table against the wall, grabs the blind man by the neck..." Why don't you answer? what the hell? what did you see? me!!!" he commanded. "He...he's going to marry...a..a half human..." the blind man said harshly before Lucius threw the blind man against the walls and headed dangerously towards the castle...

~!~

Mark is sleeping in his room tonight, he came home early to be fit tomorrow for training with Markus. He partied a bit with his friends in the nearby village to celebrate his birthday. He frowned when he woke up when he heard a noise in the hallway, he put on some pants and a t-shirt to see what was going on. He was about to go out to see what was going on, he sees his furious dad come into his room, Mark hasn't had time to say a word, his dad punches him in the face, and he drag him in the basement.

His mother follows Lucius, trying to calm him down and find out what he's doing but he doesn't listen, his rage overstepping his bounds. "Lucius, why are you doing this?" Betty shouted at Lucius, clutching his arm, trying to free her son from his hand. They arrive in the basement and Lucius throws Mark in the basement and kicks him in the stomach, which makes Mark scream in pain and locks the door to prevent Betty and the others from entering...Betty knocks loudly on the door, begging her husband not to hurt their son. "Please Lucius stop, you're going to kill him!..." She yelled through the door as she heard her son cry out in pain.

Mark tries to protect himself as best he can from his father's attack, doesn't understand why he is furious with him...He throws a thunder ball but his father avoids it and chokes his own son.. "dad...why?" He said harshly with a gasp. He still has his hand around his son's neck, he smiles maliciously.

"Why? I have to kill you for the sake of the family!" He yelled at his son then he looks at his black book that was on the table and turns his attention back to his son who is out of breath.

"I will do more than kill you!" He said before throwing him to the ground, Mark trying to catch his breath. He tries to crawl to the door but Lucius levitates Mark and closes his hand to choke Mark from a distance... Lucius recites:

I use black magic to curse my son, Mark Calaway. I wish every full moon, Mark will be out of control, his deep emotions would be empty during the days, his eyes will be black, his teeth will be sharp and 8 legs will be on the outside of his back killing everything in his path.

A black smoke appears and envelops Mark, and enters Mark's body... Lucius throws his son against the wall and loses consciousness... Lucius hears Betty asking for help from the soldiers to break down the door, he takes its black book and evaporates.

~!~

When the basement door gives way, Betty runs to her son who is still unconscious, on his stomach. She puts his upper body on her knees, hugs him in her arms crying praying the spirits that Mark wakes up. The soldiers try to find Lucius but no trace of him, Betty feels that her son is alive, he is breathing but in bad shape.