Chapter 13: Regrets

The next morning, Taker prepared to go with Pat and their men attacked Mendal's camp. But before that, he will go see Markus if everything is fine and if he does not miss anything, he wears his black leather armor and a bag of meat which is on his back. He stops when he sees in the distance, Diana with a fabric bag in front of the door where Markus is. She was about to enter when she saw Taker walking towards her with the bag, she smiled at him and bowed. "Good morning Taker" She said looking at him, he nodded in greeting before opening the door. "I..can I go see Markus..?" She asked before Taker closes the door, he looks at her then looks inside and close the door, letting her outside of the room.

Some second later, he open the door again with a evil stare."Show no fear" he says before letting her come in the room. She follows him inside before closing the door quietly behind her.

Taker walks over to the table taking Diana's wrist gently so she won't be left alone with a creature even if it's Markus. "I..I don't know if Markus likes fruit.." She says taking the fruit out of her bag as Taker pulls out some fresh meat from his own bag. "He eats everything." He said before looking at her seeing that she took tomatoes, apples, lettuce, blueberries. "But his favorite dish is fresh meat." He added, she realized the meat Taker was talking about was lungs, hearts, intestines. "Any meat, human or not." He said before smiling mischievously which scared Diana. Taker looks at her with fear in her purple eyes, he realizes what he just said to a human, he erases his smile then takes her hand. "I..I'm sorry, I don't usually talk about this with a human. I meant, he eats if I order him to eat a human but has never touched a human without defense" Said he tries to reassure her. Shut up for saying that kind of bullshit. Taker said to himself. She smiled at him before her smile faded when she heard something land on the ground behind them.

Taker looks behind and sees Markus, he turns to face him but the creature walks towards the girl. Taker puts Diana behind him, steps back when Markus walks towards them, she tries not to be afraid of Markus but the creature is so imposing and intimidating in size. Markus' hairy head is a few centimeters from Taker's head, which is giving him nasty eyes. Me thank girl, me don't want to eat girl. Markus wants to thank Diana for saving his life, not killing her. Taker turns around to face Diana, gets behind her, she starts to stress and then feels Taker's hands on her shoulders. "He wants to thank you" Taker said reassuring her, she looks at Taker who nods to her before looking at Markus who is a few centimeters away from them.

She stretches out her hand and walks towards the creature until her hand touches the creature's head, she smiles then looks at Taker who is proud of Markus. "You're welcome Markus." She said looking back at Markus. The creature is still bandaged but is alive, Markus is grateful to this human who saved his life. He never trusted a human, his master ordered him not to eat innocent people but Diana saved his life, a human, thanks to what she did, the creature trusts her.

~!~

Taker and Diana leave the room to let Markus eat. Taker is impressed with how Markus has trusted Diana since she saved him from a terrible death. "Thanks for letting me see Markus, Taker" She said smiling at him, he watches her leave, he was going to see Pat to check if everyone is ready to leave but gets stopped by his mother. "Mark!" She almost screams as she runs, he turns around and sees his mother walking towards him. "I wanted to tell you that I'm sorry for hiding from you that I'm sick.." She said sadly, not wanting her son to hold it against her. He takes the hands of his mother who loves him so much despite her black heart and kisses her on the forehead. "Be careful mum" he said before going out to attack the camp.

~!~

As soon as the 2 guards are killed, they sneak into the camp, Taker with his soldiers on the left, Pat and his soldiers on the other side, they kill all the guards they see, in the tents where they sleep, those who are making their rounds, bush by bush, they were able to kill without anyone knowing, they arrived at the back of the camp where there is a small house, Taker waved his hand to go around the house... they are all placed around the house, Pat is looking through a window, nobody is there... it's strange... they enter the house, look for what can be useful...

"Ok, you you and you, go upstairs, look for what you think is useful to find information on Mendal, Me and Pat go to the basement and the rest stay there if there is anything, attack without hesitation..." Taker said with authority, wanting to dig around so as not to miss any clues. They all nod to Taker, he opens the door that leads to the basement, it looks like a prison...Pat and Taker are on their toes...ready to use their powers to attack...

"I'll check the right side." Said Pat going to the right, Taker nods his head and continues on the left...he looks around and suddenly he finds a black book on a table...he approaches slowly, he looks familiar, he touches the book, and he has electricity all over his body, his eyes roll and turn white and he becomes stiff as if his soul is leaving his body...he heard voices repeating...

I'm going to kill you...

Taker comes to his senses... doesn't know what happened... suddenly he feels a hand on his shoulder, turns around suddenly and sees that Pat doesn't know what happened to him...

"Majesty, are you alright? you screamed and you got stiff..." Pat said worriedly when he saw and heard Taker as if caught short in his breath.

Taker looks at the black book, takes the book... in case it could be useful... he taps Pat on the shoulder to make him understand that everything is fine. "maybe you should come with me..." Pat says going to the right, Taker follows Pat into a dungeon where there is a corpse... Taker enters and approaches the corpse, turning it to see his face...Damn Pete...he forgot he sent Pete here...I guess he was found out and didn't betray me...he was faithful to me until he died, Taker thought. He closes Pete's eyes and sees his injuries, he had a slow death and he suffered a lot... Taker closes his eyes and sorry to send him there...

"One of your soldiers?" Asked Pat seeing that Taker is looking at the corpse with compassion. "And a friend...yes...I sent him sneaking in here, I guess Mendal knows his soldiers' faces well..." Taker added as he stood up, he felt Pat's hand on his shoulder compassionate with his ally. "He did his job to serve you, you should be proud..." Pat says looking at the corpse, Taker looks at Pete's body then looks at Pat. "I'm going to get a soldier to get him out of here and bring him back to the castle where he will have a funeral as he deserves..."

Taker leaves the basement and Pat looks at the corpse... and still looking for evidence, suddenly someone attacks Pat from behind, Pat punches him, the guy dodges his punch and gives him a kicked, punched, kneed, Pat was on the ground with a bloody nose...suddenly the guy was lifted by Taker...look at Pat and look back at the guard, bring close to his face...

"I won't kill you because you can be useful to me and damn you have the talent to fight, you fought Pat and you managed to take him down, luckily he didn't use his powers... " Taker says with a threatening voice before throwing the guy against the wall which he knocks out. Taker goes to Pat to help him up. "you should practice fighting... he took you down easily." He suggested with a laugh, Pat accepted his ally's hand to get up then laughed.

"I've never fought someone with my hands, I normally fight with my powers..." Pat confided smiling, Taker smiled then patted his new ally's shoulder. "I'll teach you, Pat..."

They go back to the main room of the house... The guys upstairs found a map, a key, and 2 guards, they held 3 prisoners for interrogation... Taker carries Pete's body and goes back to the castle, he is happy about the mission accomplished... but puzzled about what happened with him and the black book.