6-3189191619

Waverly's body shuddered against Haught. "You okay?" Waverly bit her lip harder, unable to look up in case she fell into those eyes and experienced another explosion. "Hold onto me."

That was the last thing Waverly needed to do, edging away from Haught's hoodie, the person behind her moving to accommodate the stranger gaining ground. Approaching Euston Square, the woman tapped Waverly on the shoulder. "We get off here. It's busy so stay close. Have your tickets ready."

A stream of commuters spewed from the train, the three swept along towards an exit sign, Haught able to keep the woman in view given her height. Once through the barriers they headed to the main station, strangers pushing past on their way home, petrol fumes and engine noises part of the experience. Haught was struck by the rush of this settlement, its speed, its chaos, not used to seeing so many people, or machinery passing her at such a fast pace. Everyone in a hurry, everyone going about their business. It filled her with a mix of excitement and edginess at not being in control of the situation, of not knowing how things worked exactly in Waverly's world.

Euston station was just as busy, commuters congregating in the central concourse, eyes fixed on a large announcement board above their heads, waiting for the platform number for their train. "Where are you headed?" the woman asked.

"Scotland, Inverness," Haught replied. "Where do we find it?"

The woman scanned the board. "Can't see it yet. You need to keep checking the board."

The kind stranger disappeared into the crowd, Haught turning to Waverly. "Are you okay?"

"What's in those yellows?"

"Not sure. Are you hungry?"

"Ravenous. We can get something for the journey, there's plenty of choice."

"You can."

"Hey, a bar. We'll be able to see the board from the balcony. Come on." Waverly took Nicole's hand pulling her towards an escalator, jumping on first, Haught holding back trying to work out what to do. "It's easy, put one foot on." Haught did as she was told, the metal step rising under her foot, managing to get her other foot on in time, Waverly laughing at her clumsy performance. "Guess they don't have these in space either."

Haught was too busy holding on to the moving rail. As the escalator reached the top Waverly stepped off waiting for Haught, who was engrossed in watching other commuters using this contraption. "Fascinating. I need to record this."

Finding a table, Waverly headed to the bar returning with two small beers and several bags of crisps, placing them on the table, Haught studying the brown bubbly liquid in the glass. "Is water this colour in London?"

"It's called lager. It's like water, only better." Haught rummaged in her satchel for her thermometer gadget, stopping herself from getting it out in public. Waverly saw Haught's eyes darting back and forth. "Do it under the table," she whispered. "No one will notice."

The gadget let out a low whine, Haught removing it quickly. "Identifies as water but not entirely."

Waverly took a swig of hers. "Mostly water and a little extra. Is it pure enough for you?"

Haught reinserted the gadget, the action of purifying the gassy drink making it froth over the edges of her glass. When she lifted it from under the table it now resembled a blueberry smoothie, Haught sniffing it, taking a sip, her head tilting to one side. "Not bad. Lager. I will record this."

"You keep saying that. How?"

"My eyes."

"Oh, okay. You look at it and remember. Of course, memories."